I'm still here! I seriously do not know how two months have passed since my last post, except that life has been moving along at breakneck speed.
What's happened around here lately:
- We hired an attorney who last week sent a letter to DS's lending company detailing how the wire fraud originated on their end because of their lax practices and setting out the expectation that they reimburse DS. Hoping that settles this, but not counting on it.
- Younger DS received the first-ever treatment for his disease. It was supposed to be given via spinal injection, but his spine is fused and there was no opening. The doctor was able to successfully dose him by going in through his neck. DS is already reporting a noticeable increase in energy levels so we are praying he continues to see progress. Unfortunately, the treatment is not a one-time thing. We head back for #2 the week after next. Very thankful insurance is covering it in full. The medicine alone is $125,000 a pop.
- Insurance screwed up payment for his wheelchair so I had to file an appeal. Again. At least we have the chair now.
- DS's optometrist's office filed with the wrong insurance for his last visit. Straightening that out has been more trouble than it should be.
- Between treatments, PT and various specialist visits, we have 13 trips to the hospital scheduled between now and the end of the year.
- I have a cracked tooth. It was determined last week that it can't be saved so I need to have it extracted. Insurance will cover the cost, but the oral surgeon requires payment upfront and then they file insurance for me. Waiting to hear the amount I will have to come up with - even though temporarily. The only bright side of this is that it is the very last tooth in the back of my mouth, so I don't have to run out and get an implant to keep me from scaring small children when I smile.
- My knees are giving out, too. For now, cortisone shots seem to be doing the trick - I had two of them last week. Knee replacement is in my future, but my surgeon wants to wait a few years as long as the shots are giving me relief. Good thing, I sure don't have time for that.
- My granddaughter is 10 months old and keeping me on my toes. I keep her while my daughter works and I now understand why God gives us babies when we are young. I used to think nothing of this when I had 3 little ones. At 54, not so much.
- I have finished Christmas shopping. We only buy for the kids and gift cards for my parents, so it's manageable. All paid in cash.
- I will be hosting 13 for Thanksgiving. I've farmed out most of the dishes and I just saw that the grocery store has turkeys for 37 cents a pound, so I'll be heading over there tomorrow.
- Not much else to talk about on the finance front. I'm close to paying off a Capital One card. It will be done by the end of the year. So yay. DH is planning to retire in 8 years, so it's getting real. We need to get rid of everything before then. Keeping the faith ...