Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Day by day

I'm in my not-so-comfy sleeping chair at the hospital listening to DS's Bi-Pap machine hum as I write this. What a day. He's still in pain (apparently, the break is so high up they're calling it a broken hip) and having to be repositioned often. It takes two nurses to do this. And yet, a caseworker arrived today to announce that because his vitals are stable, insurance will likely deny him staying longer and we need to start the discharge process.

DS freaked out. I know if they had a blood pressure cuff on him, the numbers would have been sky high. He knows what I know. If he is released now, he will have to go by ambulance - he cannot drive his chair. And when we get home, I won't be able to care for him alone. Just yesterday, the doctor told him he was going to keep him through the weekend and look at releasing him Monday. That would be almost two weeks since the accident and reasonable. The bone should heal enough by then to make his pain level manageable.

I despise our health care system. I hate that some suit at an insurance company is calling the shots. Why do we go to the doctor if we can't follow their orders because they won't get paid if we do?

Insanity. It's insanity.

On a related topic, I've officially had my fill of hospital cafeteria food. So when a friend texted to say she was bringing dinner, I was thrilled. At the appointed hour, she called. She was at my house. I was at the hospital. Our wires had gotten crossed. I told her to leave the dinner in the kitchen and DH would have it tonight when he gets home from work. Back to the cafeteria for me.

We're living day by day. It's all we can do.

Sarah
 

3 comments:

  1. Where are you, I could send a pizza or someone from my church with food. I hate, hate that I can't help you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate your health care system too!!! Like Kim I wish there was something we could do to help you out. I hope the pain lessens soon and that the break heals quickly - I'm so sorry you have to deal with stupid insurance folks who are always looking at the bottom line with no compassion or sense at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could send a pizza or someone from my church with food. I hate, hate that I can't help you.


    เกย์ไทย

    ReplyDelete