Tuesday, March 21, 2017

A luxury is saving me money

A few weeks ago, things were crazy at home ... OK, crazier than usual. The cupboards were bare and I didn't have a spare hour to make a grocery store run. About that time, an offer landed in my email. I could order online and pick up curbside at a local store and they would waive the $4.95 fee.

Tell me it's free and I'll bite.

So I pulled up to the grocery store feeling like a celebrity, pushed a button and sat there like a kept woman while someone else loaded my groceries. All the while thinking, man this was a bad idea. I'll never go back to shopping on my own.

And I haven't. Except it hasn't been the budget buster I expected it to be. Turns out when I order online, I don't throw in those last-minute items that catch my attention and I just can't live without. I get what I need and nothing else. And you know what? My grocery bill has dropped a minimum of $20 a week. And I'm happier. Win win!

Sometimes you just have to go out of the box.

Sarah
 

9 comments:

  1. Great idea if it works for you, we do not have that service here. How are you other wise?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plugging along ... on the upside, I've been keeping my new granddaughter which makes everything else not so bad!

      Delete
  2. We don't have that available either. Sounds convenient and it is saving you some money, so double score!
    Happy to see you posting again. How is your debt paying journey going?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate that my posting is so sporadic - my days get away from me! ... The debt journey is slow, but it is going in the right direction so there's hope that I will one day reach the finish line!

      Delete
  3. Wow - sounds like a win/win to me! You're right - if you're not there in person you won't pick up all of those impulse buys. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have that here, but I like getting my own groceries. That way, there is no dented can of tuna, no squashed loaf of bread or bananas in the wrong state of green and yellow. My impulse shopping is mostly to buy something marked down, so not too bad. I doubt it would save me $20/week because some weeks I buy less than that. But, if it works for others, great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like a great idea to cut down those impulse purchases I also do at the groceries!

    ReplyDelete
  6. if you're not there in person you won't pick up all of those impulse buys. What a great idea!


    เกย์ไทย

    ReplyDelete