Monday, June 6, 2016

For once, it paid to eat out

We have a favorite restaurant. It's expensive - of course. So it ends up being the celebration spot. We end up going once or twice a year for special occasions. A couple of years ago, we were seated in the section of a server who was fabulous. Without hesitation, Sam took care of DS - cutting his meat while talking to him like a person and not making him feel uncomfortable. The next time we went, we requested him and our evening was just as great. Now he's our go-to guy, even though we only see him every six months or so.

Last time we were there, Sam was talking to DS and asking about his accessibility at home. DS mentioned the ramp to our front door and that because the wood had warped, it made for a bumpy ride which is uncomfortable for him. Just making conversation.

On Friday, this wonderful man showed up at our door with two other workers and announced that they would be rebuilding the ramp. Apparently, when he's not working at the restaurant, he's doing construction work. They spent the bulk of the day Friday and a good part of Saturday working until the rain started. The ramp is almost finished and looks amazing. I knew that Sam was paying these other two guys to work on the project and I asked how much we owed him. He handed me the receipt for the wood and said I only owed him what the materials cost. The rest was on him. Having priced out ramps before, I know this was a gift of a couple thousand dollars. 

We are so very blessed. I cannot wait until we are out of debt and we can pay it forward.

Sarah
 

9 comments:

  1. There really are good, genuine, kind people out there. How wonderful for you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That makes me want to cry. Such a caring person Sam is and your son should never have to feel uncomfortable. Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the most loving wonderful story I have heard in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You deserve this because you have raised a wonderful son.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Made me cry. What a great story. Thanks for sharing & inspiring me to continue to look for ways to help others, be it financially or with my time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful story and a wonderful guy! So glad you shared this with us. Restores my faith in humanity!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tears came to my eyes when I read this. I hope that man is truly blessed for this selfless act of generosity.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tears came to my eyes when I read this. I hope that man is truly blessed for this selfless act of generosity.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! What a great thing for someone to do for you.

    ReplyDelete