Friday, February 26, 2016

Dumb, dumb, dumb

Every once in a while, I take a look back at where we were and how we got there. It's not a pretty picture, but it keeps me motivated to stay the course.

A huge amount of our debt is the result of the insane costs associated with having a child with complicated special needs. Necessary equipment that insurance considers "a luxury" (like a bathroom seat and a wheelchair ramp ...). Doctors, hospitals, therapists, caregivers ... they all cost big bucks and while our insurance is good, there are still co-pays, deductibles and denials.

But I can't blame it all on the medical costs. There was a lot of dumb packaged in there. What was the dumbest, you might ask? Well, I asked myself that very question. And, oh my. ...

We bought a dog. And paid for him with a credit card.

Yes, we charged a dog. I can barely type that without kicking my former self into next year.

Who in their right mind would think that's OK? Oh, yeah. We did. I quit looking at past purchases after that. Because that right there says it all.

Life is so much better now that we pay cash. This year, we've even managed to take care of some much-needed and long-neglected home repairs/maintenance. Always in cash. Maybe there's hope for us after all.

Anyone else want to share stupid purchases so I don't feel all alone in this?

Sarah

7 comments:

  1. Never a dog but I am right there with you. I am sure I can think of something equally stupid. It would hurt my brain too much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We too charged a large portion of our child's special needs therapy on credit. It was really our only choice at the time and although I'll be paying it forever...it will be the best money we ever spent! But, we also charged dinners, movies and random junk. I realize now it was our way of coping with a very difficult situation. We tried to distract ourselves and it wasn't the smartest of choices. Thankfully, we snapped out of it/grew up/learned from our mistakes before it was too late and have begun to pay our way out of the red. As long as we learn what we did wrong, I'll count that as a win! Continued success on digging out of debt :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh-we have charged a dog too! Husband had to have a purebred German shepherd....$1000 we couldn't afford!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think just about everyone can commiserate with you regarding a dumb purchase at some point in their lives. I have made too many to count.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 4 wheelers. We bought 2 brand new 4 wheelers. The only place the girls had to ride them was at my in laws house. They live 45 minutes away and we visit them 4 or 5 times a year. Ugh. We also bought a used Bronco ($9,000) with our home equity line of credit right before gas rose to almost $4/gallon. We couldn't afford to drive it and it sat until the fenders rusted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh there's definitely hope!! I'd be too afraid (and embarrassed) to look back over my credit card purchases for dumb moves. I do remember that I used to think of credit cards as "extra" money to do with as I wanted. Payback's a b-tch ain't it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made so many dumb purchases that the total of them makes me cringe. The only thing I can do is to learn from them and never make them again. I tell myself to never make impulse purchases again so far it's been almost a year and I have been successful, but I fight the fight every day.

    ReplyDelete