Monday, February 16, 2015

Monday, Monday

My husband went with our son to a college retreat this weekend as his caregiver. They've done this many times and DH is a good sport about it. (They stayed in a cabin with 18 other college guys - while I was home being secretly happy that I had my bed to myself...)

At some point on Saturday, the check engine light came on in the van. DH said he didn't notice anything wrong, but given that this is a 10-year-old van and the only way to transport DS's wheelchair, he headed to the AAA center to have it checked out. They quickly told him it was the transmission and they could put a new one in for $6,000. DH thanked them and went on his way.

I'm going to take it to our mechanic today and let him look at it. I have already talked to him and he said if it is the transmission, he will search the salvage yards and get one for me for a fraction of the price AAA quoted. I'm still holding out hope it's something less ominous. We replaced the transmission on DH's car last year and I think two in 12 months is more than we deserve!

Meantime, we've got an ice storm headed our way. I hate that worse than snow, though I'm not complaining because our friends in the North have it SOOO much worse!!

The taxes are done and filed. We will get a small refund from the federal government and will owe about the same to the state, so it's a wash. That's all I wanted, so I feel pretty good about it.

I updated my numbers and realized we are creeping closer to the halfway point. I think it will be a huge emotional boost to see the ticker below that mark.

Stay warm everybody!

Sarah

3 comments:

  1. Your numbers seem to be decreasing at a more rapid pace these days!! Below $90,000 now - so pleased for you. Praying it's not the tranny!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope it is not your transmission. I am so excited for you and I need to up date soon but it will be awhile before I can get below 90.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing such interesting and informative article.


    Debt To Freedom

    ReplyDelete