Friday, February 27, 2015

Catching up

We've had some crazy weather here the past two weeks. Three storms have come through, throwing all schedules into disarray. Today, DS doesn't have class and I don't have anywhere I have to be, so we're staying in and catching up.

An update on the van. After DH was told while on an out-of-town trip that it needed a new transmission, I had our mechanic look at it. His diagnosis was that it only needed a new part for the transmission. The bill was $750, which is several thousand less than what DH had been quoted. I'll take it.

Meanwhile, we woke up yesterday to find a smallish tree had fallen and DH's car was under it. The neighbor, DH and DS1 spent an hour or so digging the car out. Thankfully, the trunk missed the car. A few scratches, but otherwise no damage. Whew.

The dicey weather has also meant that DH has lost several days of work/pay so today's paycheck is about $300 less than it normally would be. It means our budget will be extra, extra tight for a bit, but I'm proud to say it hasn't thrown us into a tailspin. That's progress, right?

Guess I need to take stock of the pantry and freezer and make a plan so I will stay out of the grocery store for awhile ....

Sarah

4 comments:

  1. Wow you are lucky, last time we had trees go down it took out both our windows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You win some, you lose some, such is life. A second opinion costs nothing yet can save a bundle!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like some terrible weather. :( I hope it all blows over for you soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like you dealt with a lot of events those days, Sarah. I love the fact that you saved some money on that transmission repair. On the other hand, I’m sorry to hear about the tighter budget caused by those car expenses. I can see that you’ve had great progress in your debt-free journey, and I hope you could clear your liabilities as soon as possible. Have a great day!

    Carlton Mclaughlin @ TFSN

    ReplyDelete