Monday, December 29, 2014

The year in review

2014 was a good year. Not an earth-shattering one, but it was good.

First and best is that DS was not hospitalized. Not once. Not a single visit to the ER. No serious illnesses. Just run-of-the-mill-treat-it-at-home stuff. I'll take it. He also turned 21, surpassing his life expectancy by a full three years. We are so very blessed.

On the job front, things went well. DH got a raise and his current income is solid - more than we ever expected he would earn. I was offered some freelancing opportunities and now receive a small, but regular, monthly check. Some months, it is that little bit that provides the cushion we need to ease the financial stress.

Speaking of financial stress, I have come to a point where it doesn't rule my days. The debt is still there and I still want it gone. But I don't lose sleep any more because we've tamed it enough so that we are able to pay the minimums without issue and usually have a bit left over to throw a decent snowball every month.

On the other hand, I think we have also fallen into that nasty trap of having enough to cover the bills with some left over. While we are in no way extravagant about anything, I have noticed that we are eating out more and not thinking about it. We will aim to get back on track this year.

The downside of seeing such a good income is that I am reminded every paycheck how much money we would have in the bank if it weren't all going to pay off debt.

The upside is that I am more determined than ever to eradicate the monster before DH retires. He has 10 more years on the job before he can start drawing a pension. My goal is to be done with everything - mortgage included - by then. We have a written plan and are determined to make it happen. We've come this far - we can't stop now.

So, here it is. Drum roll please. In 2014, we paid off $27,619.08!! That means that in four years, we have dumped $75,514.83 of debt. At that rate, we really are on track to meet our 10-year goal.

Happy New Year everyone. Thank you for your support and cyber friendship. Let's make 2015 the best ever!

Sarah

15 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Mysti! Once you get settled, I expect you'll be plowing through yours just as fast!

      Delete
  2. I am so proud of you. I follow your dream. My husband will retire in one year and I am scared to death. We will do this together and surely it will happen. Funny we paid off almost the same amount of debt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can do more than dream together - we can get it done! I believe in us!! Of course we paid off the same ... we're kindred spirits!

      Delete
  3. Fantastic progress. And, the best news of all about your son. May his good health continue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It really is the best part of our year!

      Delete
  4. Wow, that is an unbelievable amount!! Very inspiring, & happy to hear about your son ... happy new year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Let's make 2015 the best ever!" I'm with you on that Sarah!! What a story of success - DS (what a great year!!), paying down debt like a pro! How rewarding to make a plan, stick to it and watch it work! Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Jane, you are the inspiration! You forged ahead in 2014 and look where you are now! 2015 is OUR year!!

      Delete
  6. $27,000 is awesome! Way to go!!! Over all too, it sounds like 2014 was really good.

    ReplyDelete