Saturday, August 16, 2014

He paid what????

My father-in-law turned 80 this month. He lives on the other side of the country, but flew here for the occasion. DH and his brother decided to throw him a party - which, of course, means that I was the one throwing the party since all family parties end up being at my house. But that's OK. I gave assignments and it all came together well.

Since the men apparently lack imagination, I came up with the idea of making a poster with a timeline of his life and some fun facts - like what things cost in '34. I bought a cardboard trifold from Target and spent a bit of time printing out things to put on it. It turned out nice and FIL loved it. So much that he wanted to take it to display in his home (trust me when I say it probably fits the decor). I wasn't expecting this, though, and had to quickly scan MY photographs that were on it before letting DH ship it off. 

And that's where the happy story ends. It's the other side of the country and it was a sizable piece of cardboard. But it is cardboard. Wrap it up and send it off. I figured worst case it would cost about $35 and chalked it up to being part of his present. Yeah, so DH comes home and says - without blinking - that he paid $103 to ship a piece of cardboard. One. Hundred. Dollars. I cannot even fathom what was going through his head. I KNOW there were less expensive options.

But I'm sucking it up because it makes FIL happy. Even if I'm not. 

Sarah

4 comments:

  1. OMG. Well, now you know! Never send DH to PO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, he's only 80 once!! And by the time he's 90 your debt counter will be even further along its path to ZERO so what the heck. You did a good thing and so did hubby :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are always the voice of optimism, Jane!:) ... and by the time he's 90 my counter better be ZERO!!!

      Delete