Monday, July 28, 2014

And there goes the snowball ...

I'm at home, but my van is not. I got up early this morning to be first in line at the shop for an oil change/tire rotation etc. We also thought it might be leaking coolant so I wanted them to check that out. Of course the radiator needs to be replaced. And some work was needed on the brakes. One of the guys gave me a ride home and I'm waiting for a call that it is ready to pick up.

Total bill is going to come close to $700. Ouch. I have a check coming for a little over that amount for some articles I've written this month, so it looks like it will already be spent before it gets here (using the emergency fund in the meantime). So much for a snowball for American Express.

Oh well. The van is 9.5 years old and still chugging along. And it's still cheaper than a monthly payment!

DS's new glasses cost $350 - his eyes are so bad and his lenses so specialized that I can't use the cheapie places. .... Big expenses this month - I guess I should be happy it's almost over!

Happy Monday everyone,

Sarah

5 comments:

  1. It's a good thing you can cash flow this emergency. Be proud!! Imagine if you didn't have any savings. The snowball will be back in place for American Express. You are doing so well!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, that's still better than having a car payment!! That's what I keep telling myself too when I have to get repairs done on my 2000 Dodge Dakota. It runs like a dream so why replace it with a car payment??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey at least you had the money coming. No snowball but no added debt either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A vehicle that achieve 9.5 years and still running is a huge achievement. You must've been proud to have owned such a sturdy vehicle. Well, it’s not surprising, since you really took good care of your van. While it was quite costly at times, it's a small price to pay for the comfort it brings. Cheers!

    Bradford Oliver @ Lacustoms

    ReplyDelete