Friday, April 18, 2014

Afraid of the upsell

I scheduled a maintenance check on our A/C this week in advance of the warmer months. We are on a service plan so there would be no charge for the visit. I have had mixed feelings about this company, but not knowing of anything better I've stuck with them. A couple months ago, when our heat went out, they sent a serviceman within an hour and he stayed all day trying to figure out what was wrong with it. He fixed it and we were charged $800. He felt good about the repair and said the furnace was in good shape.

Fast forward to yesterday and a different serviceman did the maintenance call. He spent about 30 minutes at the unit. I heard him cleaning coils etc. When he came back in, he told me that there were all kinds of things wrong and that we just needed to replace both the furnace and the A/C. He mentioned that the furnace is rusted (the previous guy didn't say a word about rust) and that the A/C is not in good shape. He then wanted me to schedule something right then to have a salesman come out and show me what deals they had. He also said the crawlspace is damp, but they could fix that for $3,900.

Call me a cynic, but it just didn't feel right. I thanked him and sent him on his way.

Maybe the units are on their last legs, but I'm not getting rid of them until they have breathed their last. And I think DH will be replacing the vapor barrier in the crawlspace on his vacation next month :) 

Times like this, renting sounds awfully appealing ....

Sarah

9 comments:

  1. I wouldn't be holding my breath or worrying, this is a slow time for furnace men!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it didn't feel right, it probably wasn't. Trust your instinct. Maybe get someone you know to have a look at it to see if he was telling the truth?
    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you get someone out for a free second opinion??

    ReplyDelete
  4. man, that sucks. This is exactly why i keep telling myself I need to get myself a dependable and trustworthy handyman/repairman in the local area. At least, your husband can fix alot of things.

    I hope you find another opinion at a much lower quote!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so hard to find trustworthy repair people these days! I guess if an appliance was at death's door I would be hitting up Google and try to fix it myself before consigning it to the trash heap.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds a little fishy to me. Can your husband have a look to see if there actually is rust? My furnace is 20 years old and I know that will hinder the sale of this place, but it works just fine and my heating bills are quite low so why change things yet?? I'm with you, I'll wait til it collapses!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would get a second opinion! Think about it! When some people go to get a medical examination that doesnt sound quite right they check with another doctor, right?
    See if someone else can come in and help you out? Maybe they have an additional perspective, or they can do something different that the original person didn't know! The HVAC techs have different points of view afterall.

    Melinda Rose @ Phoenix South HVAC

    ReplyDelete
  8. Unfortunately in these situations, it is so hard to know who to trust is telling you the truth. I had a bad experience once with a handyman here. He is pretty well-known and everyone calls him to fix things. Well, we called him to fix something simple and he ended up ruining our heating unit in the winter without saying anything, just so we'd have to call him back and get more money!

    Andy Jones @ AQS Comfort

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know how frustrating it must be for you, but you can't just sit around and wait until your AC becomes damaged beyond repair! Try asking for a second opinion, and try listening to your instincts. You'll definitely know when there's something wrong with the unit.

    Ambrose @ Brown & Reaves Services, Inc.

    ReplyDelete