Sunday, March 2, 2014

... And the new month starts out on a low note

Hubs' car died. Kaput right there on the interstate. He had a hard time willing it to make it to a safe location. Called AAA for a tow (I don't know about you, but we get every penny and then some out of that membership) and me for a ride. The shop called the next day and the news wasn't good. It needs a new transmission. If you know anything about such things, that's about the priciest thing to replace. We're talking about $3,500. Ouch.

You might remember that I mentioned some time back that I've been doing some freelance work the past few months and have been throwing that and other miscellaneous money into a separate account with no particular use in mind. Some readers thought that was a mistake and I should be using it to pay down debt. Guess what it's going to be used for? I'm sorry that I'm having to spend it on car repairs, but glad I didn't let it get absorbed by the household budget.

Mostly, I'm ticked off that we're having to replace a major part on a Toyota Corolla with 110,000 miles. Those cars are supposed to last longer, aren't they?

Life happens. Sometimes not the way we planned ...

Sarah

10 comments:

  1. We replaced the transmission on G-man's car (Ford Explorer) in March 2011...and then it died again in October 2013!! At that point the car needed other work and was at 188k miles, and we decided to buy another car ('01 Camry).

    It is funny with that "extra" money. Everyone says pay off debt...but it sure comes in handy when big stuff happens. Glad that you have it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You said it, Mysti! I think there's a difference between squandering "extra" money and just not spending it, even on debt. Of course, it's always easier to spend someone else's money :)

      Delete
  2. Any chance of putting a used transmission from the junk yard into it for less $?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know much about vehicles and their parts. I'm glad that you have the cash needed to get the repairs done regardless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man.... trust me I know how that bites.... we just purchased a new minivan (used, new to us ) low miles, great shape, had it less than 2 months, & it needed a new transmission.... we paid him cash & it saved us 1000.....2500 instead of 3500.... they say extra cash is what you have just as the car breaks down... : ) BUT we drove the old one until it died.. 230,000 miles, so here's hoping I get that much out of this one....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So how do you decided that a car has "died"...if you're willing to replace the transmission? Replacing the transmission is probably costing more than the car is worth. Wouldn't it be better to take that $3,500 and pay cash for a newer used car...that runs?

      Delete
  5. I've had a very similar thing happen recently and helped empty out my emergency savings. Keep going...wow, $50,000 debt paid down..that gives me hope!
    By any chance, you might apply over at bloggingawaydebt.com for their new blogger? I'd love to see your journey laid out over there too. It seems more interesting than the current applicants right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ick!! Is there any possibility of a used transmission? I had to replace a transmission once in a Dodge van. I was going to go used but they talked me into new. A few months later the engine went - the van was toast after spending all that money on a new transmission. Just about killed me ;(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our daughter and SIL had a Toyota Camry that they sold with around 200,000 miles on it and it still ran great. So sorry yall are having this problem. Usually they are very reliable. Many blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband had a dodge Dakota that needed the transmission replaced twice. I could cry still just thinking about it. That truck almost drove me over the edge.

    Hope it ends up being less than you expect.

    ReplyDelete