Saturday, February 15, 2014

That's a big number!

As of this morning, we have paid off ... drum roll please ... $50,002.28 in nasty debt! The 50k mark is big for me. It is a mental thing if nothing else. While we still have a long, long way to go, seeing that number is motivating. It means what we've been doing for three years, one month and 15 days is working.

This week, we got hit with the big storm that's making it's way up the East Coast. It created an unusual situation for these parts and brought everything to a standstill. DH works 30 miles from home and by the time his workplace shut down there was no way he would make it. He ended up finding a hotel room and hunkering down for the night. In the past, he would have handed over his credit card. But he doesn't carry a credit card anymore, so he paid with the debit card. I realized that not so long ago that would have been disastrous, if not impossible. But there was enough money in the account to cover the bill and he was safe. I will skip the weekly grocery trip and we will scrounge from what we already have on hand to make up the difference. What a great feeling not to go into panic mode over every unexpected expense.

Soda update: I'm only drinking one a day ... trying to work up the courage to give up the caffeine boost altogether. I think it might be possible... maybe....

Next goal: getting below $100k. Might have to have a party when we reach that one!

Sarah

15 comments:

  1. Many congrats! I think you should have a luncheon at 75k! I think even numbers are just so much nicer to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Sarah, I am so proud and happy for you. You are truly my inspiration. I get so much joy watching that # go down. I am in competition with you, if you can do that so can I.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have but one word - U-RAH!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's pretty impressive.....take a time out and relax. Enjoy the few precious victories!!! I'm so excited for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a big smile on my face while reading your post today :) :) That's a huge amount that you've paid off and I remember when you started!! When you get under $100,000 I think we should have a potluck to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sticking with me for the long haul, Jane. Potluck it is!!

      Delete
  6. That's awesome! I totally get what you mean about it being a psychological milestone. Great job! We are close to paying off one of my husband's five student loans. It's the smallest, of course, but it still feels like a big deal to have one of them gone for good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! That is, indeed, a major milestone! I’m sorry to hear about what happened to your husband. Unexpected expenses are part of life, so it was great knowing you stashed enough for that kind of incident. Anyway, I know you can give up soda for good. Not only is it an additional expense, it’s also not beneficial to the body. You can do it. Good luck!

    Barry Sutton

    ReplyDelete
  8. This info you provided in the blog that was really unique I love it!!! the credit people

    ReplyDelete