Monday, February 3, 2014

Aiming for a healthier me

I'm overweight, don't exercise much at all. No real health issues. BP is good. Except for the scale, all the numbers are acceptable. But I am 50 and post-menopausal and I can feel the changes. I know I need to stay ahead of this. But there's no need to go gung-ho. It would never last. So I've decided to focus on one thing.

I am a diet soda drinker. I drink a lot of it. A lot. When I'm home, I almost always have a glass beside me - year-round allergies and daily Claritin leaves me with a dry mouth. I don't drink coffee, so soda gives me my caffeine boost. But I drink too much. Way too much. For the past week, I've been drinking much less soda and replacing it with tap water. I've gotten down to two glasses a day. Today I've only had one. I can't even begin to describe how huge this is. Just trust me on that. It's big.

I am going to try limiting to one a day for awhile and see how it goes. Who knows? I might even give it up altogether. I know I would be healthier. And it certainly would help the grocery budget.

Wish me luck.

Sarah

10 comments:

  1. Hey, I am 42 and have beat the soda issue. I used to drink the stuff like I don't know what. I have just changed vices. I went from soda (all kinds) to tea. I like hot tea, sweet tea, iced tea, etc etc. I'm guessing it's the caffeine. When I stopped the soda, I was having terrible headaches and went though some withdrawal. I was miserable, but I was able to get over it. Now, tea, I've tried to go caffeine free, but it's difficult. I drink a lot, but less when I am working night shift. I also have a dry mouth which explains some of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like tea, too, but I use Sweet and Low with it and that's part of what I'm trying to get away from - aspartame. It's a hard habit to kick and I'm not sure I'll be able to do it. I have been surprised that while I have had some mild headaches, nothing like I expected. Glad you've beat it!

      Delete
  2. sarah, sarah, you and I are so alike it is scary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! I have to admit, the toll on my wallet would be more motivating for me than the toll on my health. (How terrible is that?). One per day sounds reasonable, and maybe you can eventually get down to once a week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's sort of been my thought all along. But I have to admit that I have recently been showing signs of aging and am going to have to face reality that I'm not invincible anymore :) I like the once-a-week goal! Maybe I'll try that.

      Delete
  4. Good for you and try to keep it up. Soda, diet and regular, is so bad for us. (Does gingerale when I'm sick count :)? My downfall is coffee - I switched to hot lemon and ginger in the morning and really enjoy it but when I feel stressed I crave coffee. I find it's been sneaking back into my morning routine again...drat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it's bad - every study makes it even worse! But, NO, ginger ale does not count when you're sick! I think soda has historically been a stress reliever for me. It just got out of hand. As you're in the thick of some serious stress, I say don't beat yourself up too much!

      Delete
  5. A little victory every day makes you feel happy and keeps you motivated toward achieving your goals.
    This may sound strange, but I actually like it when my wife goes on a diet. She can be happy for weeks on end because she loses a little bit each day.
    The same is true for debt. If you can see measurable progress toward debt reduction each day, you have reason to feel optimistic each and every day. You are winning! And that means your life has a happily ever after waiting for you. That is such a great feeling.
    The people that helped me are at www.payoffdebtfree.com . I'm not saying it's right for you, but you owe it to yourself to at least check it out.
    Best of luck to you. I believe in your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This info you provided in the blog that was really unique I love it!!! the credit people

    ReplyDelete