Monday, January 13, 2014

New week, new optimism

Fast on the heels of the furnace going kaput, we had a big storm blow through on Saturday afternoon. We lost power at 2 p.m. and didn't get it back until late Sunday morning. It wasn't that cold here, so had it just been us we would have toughed it out. But DS sleeps with a ventilator, so about 9 p.m. we finally packed up and moved to my folks' for the night. With all the medical equipment we brought as well as the food from the freezer and fridge, you would have thought we were staying a week! We were glad to get home and even happier last week is over!

Since I was having such a fun week, I decided to go to battle with a mouse. I knew the little rodent was spending time in my kitchen (he left evidence) and it was getting annoying. Set a couple of traps with peanut butter as the bait. Next morning, one of the traps was sitting there just where I'd put it with the peanut butter licked clean. Figures the smart mouse would move in with us. That night I was sitting at the kitchen table and could actually hear that little beast moving the trap around in the cabinet trying to find more peanut butter. That was it - the war was on! I switched the two traps, added more peanut butter and outsmarted him. Sarah: 1, Mouse: 0.

It's been almost two months since my van was rear-ended by a speeding bus. It's been about a month since I got it back from the repair shop. Since then, it's been back to the shop twice and is scheduled for a third visit next Monday. The lingering problem is the fuel gauge ... which doesn't work. It falls to about half a tank and then sticks, leaving me to guess how much is left and when I'm going to be stranded by the side of the road. The men at the shop think I'm the crazy lady. "It works for us. Shoots right up when we fill the tank." Yeah, buddy, it goes UP, it just doesn't come DOWN! I'm wondering whether the van will ever be restored to its former glory. It has 130k miles on it and we were planning on at least 200k before we seriously started thinking about a replacement. It's sure not in the cards right now. Sigh.

Happy Monday everyone. Here's to a new, uneventful week!

Sarah

8 comments:

  1. I hate mice! They smell and pee every where. Good for you! Look you are below 120,000.00!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, Kim! They may look tiny and cute but YUCK! And, yes!! I fell below 120 this morning!! Yay me :)

      Delete
  2. You know, you may want to use the travel feature in your car. No, it's not a fix, but I've had plenty of vehicles with the broken gas gauge, so I've learned never to trust it. Try to estimate how many miles you can get from a full tank and reset the travel counter every time you refill. Even though my car has a working gauge, I still do this every time I fill up with gas. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I've been trying to do, Tanner, with some success ... at least I haven't been stranded on the interstate yet. I do not like this problem at all!!

      Delete
  3. Kinda risky. I just KNOW I would run out of gas! Congrats on getting below $120k - what a great accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I'm afraid of! But I'm also trying to keep from filling it before Monday when I take it back to the shop. I want it to be empty while the gauge reads almost full so they can see for themselves! ... And thanks!

      Delete
  4. Congrats on the debt going down. And I hate hate hate mice. This year I saw two of them and had enough so I put out glue traps and then put poison blocks down. Within two days I had three dead mice. I have kept the poison down just in case and also filled any whole I could fine with steel wool.

    Again congrats I am so happy for you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glue traps kind of creep me out :) I just snap their heads! Thanks for the kind words - I'm pretty excited to be nearing the $50,000 paid mark. Really feels like progress, you know?

      Delete