Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Feeling the chill ...

It was 9 degrees outside when I got up this morning. A couple hours later, I started thinking it was awfully cold inside, too. I glanced at the thermostat and then peaked outside to the pipe that should be spewing smoke when the furnace is on.

It had icicles on it.

We just had the furnace inspected for winter last month. Fat lot of good that did. I called the heating company. Thank goodness for that service plan that I hate paying for but am afraid to give up. Because of that, a repairman was at the house within the hour on the coldest day of the year. But that's where the good news ends.

It took about three hours to figure out what was wrong. It took another three to find and install the replacement parts.

And 60 seconds to clean out our emergency fund. $819.

I know, I know. I should be happy I had the emergency fund. Sorry, I just can't find it in me to be happy about spending nearly $1,000 two weeks after Christmas. Bah, humbug.

Sarah

6 comments:

  1. It's a good thing that you had the money in the emergency fund to pay for the needed repairs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch, those unplanned repair bills are no fun. The "joys" of being a homeowner.

    Glad you have heat again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good thing you're warm now. There isn't anything you could've done to prevent it so don't beat yourself up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is it with stuff breaking down all of a sudden, I mean every blog has an ouch me bill! At least you are not alone.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, consider the alternative, but yes, I feel your pain. This time last year our hot water tank died and flooded our basement. I resented it deeply!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thankful you had it! That's what it's there for :) I know what you mean though about it being discouraging. There is a certain amount of security that comes with just knowing that it's there.

    ReplyDelete