Sunday, October 20, 2013

A sobering reminder

A friend lost her husband last week. No warning. She found him dead in his recliner of an apparent heart attack. He was 50 years old.

Not to sound totally crass, but my brain immediately went to the financial implications. I think my friend is in pretty good shape, though I don't know that for sure.

But really, I started to think about our situation and what if something happened to one of us. It's scary, you know? It makes me thankful that we took Dave Ramsey's advice several years ago and bought term life insurance on both of us. It would be nice not to have to pay those monthly premiums, but at times like this I'm reminded why we do it. If I were left alone today, it would take half of the $500,000 of DH's insurance to pay off all the debt, including the mortgage. That's a huge chunk gone quickly, but at least it would be there to pay those bills.

I'm also thankful that we finally put on our big kid panties and started beating down this monster. Had we kept going the other direction ... well, I don't want to think about it.

It's hard being an adult.

Sarah

6 comments:

  1. My term policy was up this year and I am not insurable so I had to keep the policy and is doubled and will double next year, but I don't dare leave hubby without a way to pay off the house.Once the house is paid for I will have no insurance. I am so glad you have this. And look you are below 125,000! You give me such hope!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely unique and fine piece of information. I've never spent that much time reading before but this is really awesome. Debt Collection
    Personal Debt Collection
    Corporate Debt Collection

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sucks big time to be an adult and have to make these sorts of decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see life insurance as a must. If I die, I want my husband and kids to be able to stay in our house. So sorry about your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its great to read your full article. Its excellent and powerfull.I also have one website and working on it. Your one click can make it better just click here

    ReplyDelete