Monday, April 8, 2013

What if?

Since January 1, we have paid off $5,483.69. I'm pretty proud of that, even though it's really just a result of paying minimums on everything. What it does mean is that the minimums are starting to add up and more is going to principal now instead of it all going to interest.

But I can't help but think ... what if? What if we didn't have this stupid debt? What if we had that much extra to invest in our family? What if we didn't have to sweat every. single. penny?

What if?

I can pretty quickly tick off some places to put that money. We've had to neglect some home improvements that need to be taken care of but can't because there's no money. What if we could just decide we wanted to work on something and then just do it? What if our Emergency Fund was so fat we didn't even have to think about it? What if I didn't have to panic when an error delayed DH's paycheck?

What if?

I can't wait to try it out for real. And for the first time, I really think it's going to happen. It's going to be awhile, but it's going to happen. And I can't wait!

Sarah

8 comments:

  1. Those What Ifs are nice and entertaining to some extent. As long as they serve to strengthen your resolve, they're great. Definitely something to strive for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they serve as a reminder. I had never really thought about the possibility of having the ability to take care of things as they came along - because it had never been possible. I now realize it can be done and I am on the road to doing it. Really, my "dreams" aren't far-fetched. I'm not dreaming of a bigger house or lavish lifestyle - merely the ability to sustain the one we've got. I know we'll get there, I just so wish we had started when we were younger. Maybe there's a younger adult out there who is reading this and will change their way of thinking - I can only hope!

      Delete
    2. Yup, my dreams aren't terribly ambitious either... I don't want a huge house or a brand new car either, but it'd be nice to have the freedom to choose. I think that's what it comes down to. Don't worry, you're going to get there as well, really soon! We both will.

      Delete
  2. I feel the same way. What if, but I am proud of my progress and you should be also. It will get faster and faster. I just seems slow now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi! I just wanted to pop in and say hello as I am a new reader and follower of your blog and have been reading back through the archives which I am enjoying :).. I too am just starting to try and dig out of some debt. I have a blog also for a few years but have just decided today to start blogging about my debt etc.. Your blog an a few others have inspired me. Maybe if I post about it , it will help me stay motivated..
    Robyn :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The journey to becoming debt-free is a long one, but I'm glad to see that you have a positive outlook on it rather than grumbling about not being able to spend it on your wants. I also agree with what you and Tanner have talked about. The what if's are a great way to push you to being fully committed to paying debts off. Congrats on the progress you've made thus far, and I wish you the best for continued progress! :)

    -Allan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must agree with you that those 'what ifs' could serve as reminder of what should we have for now if we ain't have debts. Just imagine how rich you could get if could save at least single penny everyday, and multiply it on the number of days that we have in a year. Then, multiply it to the number of years until we retire. That could mean a large amount of money!

    Jaden Allred

    ReplyDelete
  6. I prefer to think of the other "what if" - "what if you still hadn't started on paying down your debt?". Think of how much worse it would be if you never had started. We've been at it for over 3 years and have paid off $100k so far with just a little more to go. Just keep pressing play and you'll look up in no time and be amazed by how much debt you've paid off.
    Stan and Stacie

    ReplyDelete