Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Success!

So when the A/C guy was here last week, he said the dual element fuses needed to be replaced - 2 of them - and quoted a price of $203 to get the job done. I declined and he shook his head as if I had lost mine.

I spent this morning on my computer trying to figure out two things:
1. What IS a dual element fuse?
2. Is this a DIY job that can be done for less than this guy wants?

I fairly quickly came up with a site and had an email address, so I snapped pictures of the fuses in question and sent an email, asking whether this is an easy replacement. Within minutes, a nice man named Joe called me and told me to NEVER pay $203 for new fuses. I asked a couple questions about how these things are installed - no different than popping batteries in a remote - and whether he had any to sell. He did.

Total cost? $28, with shipping.

Seriously? I know people have to earn a living. But the guy was here anyway and we're talking a job that takes 10 seconds, max. I mean, it's so easy even I can do it!

Next up, replacing the flapper in the toilet. Geez, it's quite the life I lead ...

Sarah

9 comments:

  1. Good job in asking the questions to determine if it is DIY. Can you take a photo of the new fuses and where you are replacing them, this is something I need to learn?

    ReplyDelete
  2. YouTube is also a wonderful tool when fixing things. My husband is a plumber but he's taught himself off of Youtube many things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the fact that you check. I always do too. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job checking into it more! When our furnace stopped working a few months ago DH tried everything he knew to see what it could be but we ended up having to call in a repair guy. We had used him a couple of times, but not for many many years (just no problems!). The part and labor cost $180 and he told me a couple of the big name repair companies in the area charge people like $800 for the same exact thing! We all sure have to be careful not to get ripped off, don't we?

    ReplyDelete
  5. But just think of the hourly rate you saved! I managed to replace my utility sink in the basement(it wasn[t pretty with my 5 yo nephew helping) by using youtube!

    My theory now is to try myself and then call for estimate and then get online and see what happens

    I am uber impressed and proud of you...! You go girl

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good on you!! You inspire me to try more DIY projects! I have done a few flappers in my time - it's not too bad of a job:) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very Inspiring ! Good Luck !

    http://www.trustedreviewsbytashaea.com/1debtreliefadvice.org

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I deleted my comment because something went wonky and it posted wrong. Sorry!

    I was saying that it is amazing what you can do yourself when you are too broke to hire someone to do it. Last year when I bought my house, the master bath was carpeted and it was nasty! From youtube, I learned how to remove the carpet, clean up all the mold from the subfloor, prime the subfloor to prepare it for new flooring, and remove the 30+ year old Harvest Gold toilet. (Which I never put back in, because it was gross. I plugged the toilet pipe and we have just been using the downstairs bathroom). Imagine if I had hired someone to do all that!

    Go, us!

    ReplyDelete