Friday, March 8, 2013

Poof goes the EF

The Emergency Fund already took a hit yesterday with car maintenance. Today we were having the A/C serviced in advance of warm weather somewhere on the horizon. We had budgeted $100 for the servicing and filter replacement. Turns out the condensation pump under the house had quit working and water was pooling. So a new pump was added to the bill. We ended up paying $361 today. Took it straight from the EF, so no new debt, but the EF is now nearly drained. We are expecting a tax refund that we were earmarking for other purposes, but it looks like it's going straight to the EF. I think we are taking the term Baby Steps to a whole new level....

Sarah

13 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear that fixing your AC was much more expensive than planned. At least you had the money in your EF though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the scheme of things, I guess it wasn't that much. Wish it didn't feel like a fortune, though!

      Delete
  2. Ugh!! :( Well at least no debt was gained! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I keep chanting to myself over and over :)

      Delete
  3. It's better to use the emergency funds to pay for things now that cost are small, rather than have to get it serviced in the SPRING and find out that the cost are not in your favor. Good job on having the emergency funds available. You inspire me!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was happy to be getting this done before the busy season for the A/C guys. And you are too kind - I'm not sure I should be an inspiration to anyone!

      Delete
  4. What a bummer, Sarah, but at least you had the money. No new debt! Something to celebrate. Also, aren't you glad you fixed the air conditioner before it got too hot? :)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Sharon, I am glad! Heat makes me grumpy, and it gets HOT here!

      Delete
  5. All I can say is damn! Would you like to look at my new sewer line?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know how you feel - that happens to me all the time. But just be glad it was money you had set aside and you didn't have to charge it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be so glad when our debt is gone and something like this won't be a big deal at all! Until then I'm just relieved when I don't add to the debt total!

      Delete
  7. YUP, that's where my tax refund is going too - there is NOTHING left in my EF and I hate that feeling of living on the edge. Keeping my fingers crossed for you and for me that we make it til our EF is replenished!

    ReplyDelete