Thursday, February 14, 2013

Rebates, new app, this and that

Happy Valentine's Day! We don't do much celebrating around here - read none - as our anniversary is the week before. Come to think about it, we didn't do a lot of celebrating for that, either! I have thought about maybe making a fun dessert for the hubby, but I haven't gotten around to seeing what exactly is in the pantry to make that happen.

I've been plugging along in February. Money is tight. Stress comes in waves. Wake up in the night wondering if we will ever reach the finish line of this wretched race. Same old, same old.

A friend has turned me on to what she calls "beer rebates." Seems that walking the beer and wine aisle at the grocery store can be lucrative. Every so often, rebate forms show up on that aisle. I never would have looked at them had she not told me how it works because I don't ordinarily peruse that section. But these rebates are awesome! The most important thing to know is that you don't have to buy beer or wine to use them. There were a bunch available around Super Bowl time and I mailed off $25 worth. Each one required a purchase of something and the receipt for proof. But most of the purchases were generic and they were never limited to a particular store. For instance, one required me to spend at least $25 in one grocery shopping trip. That's it. Didn't matter where. Didn't matter what. I'll get $5 for that. Another was for a frozen pizza. Any brand. I won't get rich doing this, but it's turned into a bit of a game.

I also discovered a new app called Ibotta. Basically, it loads some product offers on my phone and I check them periodically to see if I've bought something that is on the list. I go through a couple of steps, upload a picture of the receipt and product barcode, and the reward is deposited into my account. When I get to $5, I can transfer it to Pay Pal and pull it out. Free money, as far as I can tell.

Every penny counts, right?

In the good news/bad news department, the only current residual from my bout with Bell's Palsy is that I have lost most of my sense of taste. That's the bad news. The good news is that I've lost 10 pounds without trying because of it. But after a month and a half of this, I want to taste my food again. Diet, be damned!

Sarah

13 comments:

  1. You are in my prayers with your health. Now stop worrying and stressing about money it is so much more important that you are healthy for your family and worrying does not help. You will get your bills paid off I have faith in you and your family. I know what those middle of the night panic attacks feel like and even take medication for them.

    Please try not to worry because it is a useless action I have learned...the hard way. You are doing so much better than you were a year ago .

    Beer and wine is not sold in stores here so I cant do that but I am off to try the Ibotta app.

    Rest easy my friend because we all care about you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy, thank you so very much for the encouragement. It is so easy to feel like giving up when the hole is so deep. But you are right that worry is useless - just a hard habit to break. The prayers are much appreciated!

      Delete
  2. I will have to check out Ibotta!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are doing great! I also wake up at night with fears, but together we will conquer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, I find myself heading to your page when I'm down. You always give me hope! Yes, we will conquer together!!

      Delete
  4. I have never walked the alcohol aisle unless I was trying to skip crowds. And even then, I kind of rush away embarassed. No idea why! But my friends say that I'd act so suspiciously and so nervously if I were to ever buy alcohol, that I'd actually get carded and have the cops called on me (I'm 26). But maybe I should one of these days... those general rewards sound very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same way ... afraid I'll run into a church friend! But I've learned to just walk fast, like I'm using that aisle as a shortcut and scan for any forms while I'm doing it :)

      Delete
  5. Is the loss of taste temporary? I sure hope so! Just hearing that your grocery store has a beer/wine aisle seems weird! We have to go to a separate store entirely to buy alcohol! Which of course - I do!! Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope it's temporary! Really, there's no way to know. Time will tell. ... I guess I don't think about the beer aisles since they've been there so long, but I do remember the days when they weren't allowed. Some states don't allow you to buy alcohol from anywhere on Sundays - like that stops anyone!

      Delete
  6. Bummer. Taste is really important. However, I wouldn't mind losing a couple of pounds...Hope you get your taste back soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I could still lose a whole lot more, but the novelty of the forced diet plan is wearing thin :)

      Delete