Wednesday, January 2, 2013

A new year, new numbers

Over the past year, I have not often looked at the goals I set 12 months ago. I hit some of them and failed miserably at others. But, as often happens, there were some exciting peaks and some dark valleys - I think that's called life. Overall, I'm OK with how I managed. Here's the lowdown:


2012 Goals
1. Smile more. B- ... I tried. I could have tried harder.

2. Count my blessings. Every. Day. A ... I know that no matter how hard things are, it could be worse.

3. Pay for our part of daughter's wedding. In cash. A ... And it was worth every penny!

4. Make way too complicated cross-stitch Christmas stockings for same daughter and her groom as a wedding gift. Hmm, B+? I made one for my son-in-law, but it took so long I didn't have time to make a second, so I gave DD her childhood stocking which thrilled her.

5. Follow Eboo's Dollar a Week Saving Plan in order to have a fully funded Christmas account come next buying season. I actually started this in November, since that's when I'll need it next. Total so far: $171.19. F ... I started it with good intentions, but ...

6. Catch up on scrapbooking. That should keep me busy. C ... I didn't catch up, but I did make a wedding album for DD for Christmas.

7. Lose 25 pounds. I made this #7 so it wouldn't be so scary. F ... Enough said.

8. Exercise. Some. Anything at all will be an improvement. F ... See above.

9. Continue to work on the grocery budget while eating healthier. See #7. C+ ... Definitely spent less weekly than years past, but there's much room for improvement.

10. Be more positive about anything and everything. See #1. C ... Some days are better than others.

11. End 2012 having shaved a minimum of $15,000 off our debt. A+++!

12. Keep praying. It's the only way to survive this life journey. B ... I can never pray enough.


In 2012, we reduced our debt by $19,249.32! That is nearly twice as well as we did the year before and gives me hope that we can do even better in 2013.

Update on DH: His ankle woes turned out to be tendonitis. The bad news is that he missed four days of work, which will really hurt come payday. I've crunched the numbers and I think we'll be able to squeak by without resorting to drastic measures. Rice and beans for dinner, anyone?

So long, 2012. Here's to 2013 - the year we all beat down a whole lot of debt!

Sarah

6 comments:

  1. Wow!! Congrats on reducing your debt by almost $20K. That's incredible. Hoping your able to pull the numbers together to adjust for your husband's paycheck. And, that he's feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am pretty excited about that number! And thanks for the good wishes for my hubby :)

      Delete
  2. You are such an inspiration and I think you did great on your goals. My husband also suffers from tendonitis in his ankles and it is awful. Can't wait to see what you will do in the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, you are too kind. I actually think I'm the poster child of what not to do :) Sorry to hear your husband has the same issues. Ailing husbands are the worst! Happy New Year!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations!!! Knocking off almost $20,000 worth of debt is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah that is am amazing achievement!!! well done!

    ReplyDelete