Friday, January 11, 2013

A '13' Jenny and Sarah report

Greetings to all! I hope 2013 has started out with a better bang for you than it has for Sarah's family and mine. Sheesh. We've never complained that life is dull for either of us, that's for sure.

In a nutshell, my family is going thru job turmoil in all branches. With retirement looming in possibly just two years, my husband has reason to suspect that he's about to be in search of another job in order to free up space for someone else. It's a familiar tune, along with the one of being booted out because he just tries to do his job right, refusing to fall in with the good ol' boys. My father had the same 'problem.'

Meanwhile, our smart, conscientious son feels like he's stuck in a dead-end position with an insane amount of questionable paperwork and a boss too inexperienced to be effective and is pondering a switch to a completely different field. He's been in his current field three years.

Meanwhile, Part 2, our exceptionally creative son-in-law is in the middle of his first year in his career, and he's already wondering if he wants to do this any more. The stress level is horrendous, as is his exhaustion, thanks to frequent 12-hour days and work that continues when he drags home.

All three are in education: hubby in high school, son in middle school special ed, and son-in-law at an award-winning elementary school. My father was a career educator - elementary teacher and principal. My own teaching stint in a self-contained school for special needs students lasted just six years; I stopped only because we moved away. Since I was convinced I could never find a school setting so perfect, I chose to be a stay-at-home parent and volunteer in our kids' schools while hubby taught and coached.

I could easily get started on a rant about education, but I won't. The financial aspect of all this is obvious (who wants to hire someone so close to escaping retiring), especially since we've replaced staggering monthly credit card payments with those for student loans. Some day I'll tally them all up and post a progress indicator when Sarah can show me how.

Speaking of Sarah, her new year was bumped to the next level when she awakened earlier in the week with Bell's Palsy. She was able to get started later that day on the standard regimen of steroids and antiviral medication, but if anyone has helpful experience with this, please share!!! Her eye is patched to provide minimal comfort (as if there's such a thing in Bell's Palsy) and hopefully reduce the severity of the headaches, and she tries to avoid loud noises as much as possible because they're painful. Unfortunately, that includes barking dogs. They have two of 'em.

Her trooper self is still transporting her son to college, grateful that the schedule is a tiny bit easier this semester than last... in some aspects, anyway. This is when living halfway across the state is a bummer.

Prayers for Sarah would be greatly appreciated!!! I don't know when she'll be able to return to the computer long enough to post herself, but I'll pass on any news.

Happy weekend to all -

Jenny






12 comments:

  1. Please understand that I don't mean to be bossy. Illness for the most part comes from stress. I continued to long and have several diseases that I hopefully manage. My suggestion to anyone involved in education is to work a day care or part time position if you stay in it. It is a killer. I am moving to a small home in a slightly wooded area. This is not the life I planned but one I can be more than happy with. I will live on less with loss leaders and coupons. I'm doing everything for a little as possible and feeling some power grow in me as my strength was gone. We will live small and we will have enough. With sale items I will cook from scratch and have been. Mending all I can and fixing my shoes or take to shoe repair. I refuse to have put all the money into education that I have and let them take my life too. I left my job over a year ago and just now begin to feel normal. I'll sell some things at the consignment shop and knit or sew to put items in the market or craft fair. Honestly, there are ways to live and live happily without drowning in illness and debt. I hope you can feel my heartfelt conviction in this. I pray that all gets better for each one of you. My thoughts will be with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't think you're bossy, Rita! Sarah and I (and our spouses) understand fully the link between stress and sickness and are pretty amazed that we've been mostly upright through the years. We certainly recognize the need to simplify as we can and are both happy to do so whenever possible. We're also very open to hearing how others manage :)

      Jenny

      Delete
  2. Bells palsey she will recover it will leave one side of her face weak but she will be okay poor darling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An aunt had Bell's Palsy some years ago, so Sarah knows (sorta) what to expect... not that that's much comfort at the present time!

      Jenny

      Delete
  3. Yikes! Ive known a few people with Bells Palsey and it just sounds scary to wake up one day with only half of your face working! Sorry I dont know more about it...and I know even less on the job front--Ive never seen a more off-balance, mostly depressing jobs situation in all the years I have been working.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely scary, but even more frustrating that there was another major something warranting attention. It probably took that to get Sarah to slow down some, but she's not exactly replaceable in many circumstances....

      I agree about the jobs situation. Education is such a critical field, but the goings-on behind the scenes (and sometimes in full view!) would make your head spin. They make MY head spin and my blood boil, and I'm thankful our kids are grown and that we're almost out of it.

      Delete
  4. Oh no! Thanks for the updates Jenny, and sending lots of prayers Sarah's way! I hope she is feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wayne Dyer's Wishes Fulfilled has a woman who had Bells Palsy and how she overcame it. Might be worth checking it out. Sending healing vibes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jackie! I've googled it and will pass it on to Sarah :)

      Delete
  6. I'm new to your blog but had to comment when I read about the Bell's Palsy. My mom woke up one day almost 3 years ago to a droopy left side of her face, & her eye crossed. Many doctors & tests later confirmed Bell's Palsy - but during the MRI they found she had a brain aneurysm! Not connected at all to the Bell's Palsy but thank goodness she had it or she never would have found the aneurysm. Good luck to Sarah, good thoughts for her & her family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, Michelle!

      Oh, my - I'm so glad something good came out of your mom's Bell's Palsy!!! I hope all turned out well for your mom; aneurysms are particularly scary.

      A friend of ours went to the doctor last week with a bad cold or flu; in the course of the exam, it was determined that he needed a triple or quadruple bypass ASAP!

      Again, welcome to the group :)

      Delete