Monday, December 24, 2012

From smooth sailing to rough waters ...

The Christmas shopping was completed early. We didn't go overboard and we paid cash. Decorations have been minimal and instead of hosting 15 tomorrow, there will be 8 of us - such a small group that we will all fit around one table. (This is not because we trimmed our guest list - some of the usual suspects are traveling this year.)

Anyway, even though we have less than $100 in the checking account, I was feeling pretty confident. There's food in the fridge, gas in the car and nothing on the horizon.

Yeah, you know what's coming, right? Yesterday, DH got up from his chair at church and was suddenly limping. He had no idea what happened. He did say his foot had fallen asleep, but he didn't feel anything pull or pop. He hobbled a bit when we got home and then decided to prop up his foot for awhile. I suggested he go to Urgent Care, but "I'll be fine," was the answer I got. By evening, he said it was much better. This morning, it was back to hobbling. I mean, really hobbling. Because he likes to self diagnose, he has decided he has a stress fracture.

Problem is, he is a package car delivery guy. Sitting out Christmas Eve is not an option. So I was out at the crack of dawn this morning buying an Ace bandage and cold packs. I don't know how he's going to manage today, but he has to. And aside from his health, I can't help but worrying about the financial implications. There are no sick/personal/vacation days left. Any time off until next Tuesday will be unpaid. Just the thought is enough to give me hives.

Deep breaths. It will be OK. It will.

Merry Christmas, everyone. I wish all of you health and happiness this week and always!

Sarah


3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about your husband's foot, & fingers crossed that it's minor & he's able to finish out his work.

    Merry Christmas to you & your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope he recovers quickly and it's nothing serious. all the best

    ReplyDelete