Thursday, August 23, 2012

Back to a new grind

DS started college last week, which is a milestone all on its own. He is loving every minute of it - what a relief!

I'm settling in as best I can to the new normal of being even more of a chauffeur than ever. College schedules are brutal on an old person like me! His classes are intentionally spread out, time wise, as he would not be able to physically traverse the campus and make back-to-back classes. When I say spread out, I mean really spread out. One morning class, one afternoon class and two night classes. Thank goodness, the school is just a few miles from our home, because the miles are already adding up ... and so is the cost of gas (how come gas prices only went down when I didn't have to drive?!).

During one of the drives, I was pondering finances. Summers are pretty stagnant when it comes to debt repayment. Expenses are higher and income is lower. As long as the overall number doesn't climb, we're good.

I've realized something else this summer. While the debt is always at the forefront of my mind, I don't think I'm as stressed anymore. I don't mean those numbers aren't stressful, just that I'm beginning to be able to breathe again when thinking about things. I guess it's because 20 months into this journey, we're proving it can be done. It's slow - and yes, it's painful - but we're continuing to move in the right direction. And although it is years away, there is a finish line in that direction. This is one of the hardest races we've ever run, but we've found our pace.

One day we'll get there. I know it. And if my writing this blog gives anyone in the same situation a little bit of hope, then it's worth it - we're in this together. But for now, I'll keep trying to figure out how to keep up with the gas and grocery prices!

Sarah

5 comments:

  1. Maybe the gas prices went down *because* you werent driving! Ha. Jokes aside, since the school is only a few miles away, any chances of biking back and forth, or perhaps some public transportation opportunities? I was 1hr from home during college and commutting, so instead of going back and forth between classes (even when one was at 7am and the other at 2:30pm), I'd just stay in school and study or read or keep busy. Perhaps something like that can be arranged, at least for some of the days?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Yes, I'm sure my driving habits contributed to the price drop!! ... Great suggestions, unfortunately not feasible for us. DS is in a power wheelchair and fatigues easily, so he needs the break. Though, if the gas prices keep climbing, we may have to tell him to wheel on home by himself!

      Delete
  2. I know how you feel! Debt of 1$- 1,000,000 ALL FEELS THE SAME!! But having a place sure takes the pressure off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. But college is SOOOOO worth it! I know what it feels like being a chauffeur! Those days are mostly behind me and what a relief. It'll pass quickly, you'll see!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Great site! I'm trying to find an email address to contact you on to ask if you would please consider adding a link to my website. I'd really appreciate if you could email me back.

    Thanks and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete