Thursday, May 31, 2012

Report from Sarah's long-lost sister

It's been so long since I updated that I had to figure out how to use the new Blogger format. Sheesh.

Life has been full in all kinds of ways since the last update, but I'll only hit a few of the highlights (you're welcome!).

Out of all the credit card accounts included in the upcoming bankruptcy, the state credit union was the last to become delinquent, and I had maintained closest contact (without further payment, which is forbidden before the discharge) with one of the executives. Our mortgage is with the local branch, and I had full intentions of reaffirming (paying back) the balance of almost $2400 as soon as we were allowed to do so. I kept the rep updated as to the status of the bankruptcy process and thought that would keep them as satisfied as possible.

Wrong.

Earlier this month we were served papers for failure to pay the bill, meaning we had to appear in court to explain our side. I contacted the paralegal, and she and the attorney immediately went into overdrive so that we present a case number for the bankruptcy filing. She said that it would be illegal for the CU to collect once the BK had been filed and that legally we now didn't even have to appear; however, she advised that we probably should in case the magistrate and CU rep hadn't received the paperwork. We did appear, and it was a good thing because no one had received any documentation. Once I handed the magistrate and the CU rep their copies of the case number, the credit union opted to dismiss the case.

So now we wait, after almost six months of digging up figures and completing forms, for the court date in a few weeks. The paralegal said that most appearances last less than a minute, which I find hard to believe but for which I would be so thankful.

On a different note, we've had some hefty unexpected expenses the past few months, particularly during May, and we have scraped together cash for them all. Not always easy, and we're now back down to pennies, but we did it!

Since our summers are always skimpy thanks to no regular income (which has always led to an increased reliance on credit cards), I'm not sure what this summer will bring. I do expect some sort of peace of mind, though, and hope the same for all of you!

Jenny

4 comments:

  1. That's quite the ordeal but it will be worth it in the end. Hope you have a peaceful inexpensive summer, you've definitely earned it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a stressful time you are having, wishing you a peaceful Summer....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope this brings you some closure and summers are tight for me also. I have to save hard for vacations. But I will try to struggle through with no debt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If your bankruptcy was approved, I think the next best thing to do is to get rid of the credit cards. The thought can be absurd, but we need to set the reliance to it aside first and foremost. Summer has officially begun; I hope you aren't facing the same troubles. :) -->Jesusita

    ReplyDelete