Monday, May 14, 2012

The gift of friends and family

This weekend, I had a similar experience to my PF friend over at Destination: Planet Debt Free. My stress was at red alert level and the cause was finances. Are you shocked yet? Murphy has hit several times recently and we had reached the point where we would not be able to pay the bills on time. I hate that feeling - not that it's anything new. But it's the kind of feeling that keeps me up at night and leaves me at the point where the only thing I can do is pray and give it over to God. I should remember to always do that first instead of last.

On Saturday, after a sleepless Friday night, I went to get the mail and was surprised to see something from a good friend who lives locally. It was a Mother's Day card with an incredibly sweet note. And included was a very generous check. She said that she was doing well financially and God had laid it on her heart to share with me. Wow. I really should remember to go to Him first.

I have never shared the particulars of our finances with my friend (only you cyber pals know the real story), but she is aware of the hefty costs we shoulder in caring for a disabled child. Her gift lifted - even if only temporarily - the heavy burden weighing on me this weekend and gave me hope just when I needed it. Hope that there will be an end to this nightmare if we keep doing the right thing and working to get ourselves out of this. And it gave me the ability to enjoy the wonderful lunch DD and her fiance cooked for me on Mother's Day.

Life is hard, but it's also good. Very, very good.

Happy (belated) Mother's Day to all you terrific Moms out there!

Sarah

10 comments:

  1. I am very touched by your experience and your friend's generosity. You are so right - take it to Him first! Why don't we remember to do that? I once gave my last $75 to someone who needed if far more than I did. Then a couple of days later I got some sort of rebate cheque in the mail for $90, totally unexpected. There's a lesson there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always comes back to us when we think of others first, doesn't it? He promises to always take care of our needs and He hasn't failed me yet. I don't know why I'm such a slow learner.

      Delete
  2. I had a similar experience. A co-worker had died, and I gave my last $23.00 to the family. That week, someone at my church gave me triple the amount as a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right. I seem to have forgotten about talking to God first!!!

    What a wonderful friend you have

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is intimately aware of your needs, but I sometimes think we don't ask. Maybe we don't think we are worthy, or we feel like we need to learn a lesson, but as a parent we cannot help a child that does not come to us for help. Our children ask us and we respond. It is the same with our Father in Heaven. We have to ask, yes he is aware, but we still need to ask. I am truly grateful that you shared this experience. It is faith building.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said, Kim! I am going to copy this and put it in my devotional as a reminder.

      Delete
  5. oh thats lovely that she did that, hope the stress eases up a bit for you

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not comfortable with asking things for myself, which is probably a fairly typical reaction.
    What a wonderful generous friend you have....

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is awesome!!!! What a generous friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is such a nice story, its really cheered me up and restored my faith in people.

    ReplyDelete