Saturday, April 28, 2012

Necessary sacrifices

A couple of things happened recently that escalated the pain of our debt.

For starters, I keep getting older. Not that I mind that necessarily, but I've been a little shocked at how quickly my body turns on me. I mean, I know I haven't always treated it right, but hey, I didn't give up on it! Anyway, this month's culprit is my eyes. I always had excellent vision until a couple years ago, when I found myself holding my books a little farther away. And so I got my first pair of reading glasses. Lately, though, they just aren't doing the trick very well. I know I need a new prescription. I also know our vision insurance is crummy and I just can't spend the money right now.

Meantime, some obvious structural issues have surfaced in the shower stall in the master bathroom. This is a tiny, tiny (think barely one-person) room which I have hated for every second of the 17 years we've lived in this house. For starters, it is tiled floor to ceiling in baby blue. I would love nothing more than to gut it, fix the problem, and get a new bathroom. Ironically, because it is so small and we're not looking for top-of-the-line anything, a re-do would not be exorbitant, relatively speaking. But it might as well be a million dollars for us. So for now, DH and I trek down the hall and use the kids' bathroom to bathe.

It's the price we're paying for the sad shape of our finances. I don't like it. But maybe I should start using the time to plan the amazing new bathroom I'll get when we get out of this mess. I can dream, anyway. And check out my ticker - I made it below $150k!

Sarah


6 comments:

  1. I hope you will write down your goals for a new bathroom. I bet this will start the ball rolling to get it done much cheaper than you ever imagined if you want it bad enough. Can you barter? Find the sink or shower enclosure on Freecycle/CraigsList? Remove the tile yourself and refinish/paint the walls yourself? I really think you can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I have thought about this. We are willing to do a little bit at a time and I think we could pick up materials fairly inexpensively. It's the labor that worries me - specifically what will be the first and potentially budget-breaking step - and that's the rebuilding of the floor that is clearly damaged beyond repair. The subfloor will have to be replaced and I just have no idea what that will run. On the upside, it's a one-level home, so below the floor is just the crawl space and not something else needing attention. Anyway, you're right. I need to think about this is little bits rather than in one big chunk. Thanks!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get yourself some quotes and at least then you will have a goal to work towards, buy all your materials as cheaply as you can, do as much of the work as you are capable of doing. And remember it's bathrooms and kitchens which put the price onto your home, so this would make a great investment...

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are having shower problems in the master bath also. It is usable. but it will be very expensive to fix!
    I will not even attempt it until the house is paid for. Unless It floods the basement!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another milestone reached - CONGRATULATIONS!! I have such a long list of things I'll have to do to my house before I can sell it...it boggles my mind to think about it all. It is hard to keep up with repairs when you're strapped for cash. Some good advice in the comments though :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. just keep swimming! it is amazing that you are below! Congrats!!! The time will come & you will be able to do that stuff.... just keep positive!!

    ReplyDelete