Friday, March 16, 2012

On food and family

I overheard a conversation my husband was having with a friend of mine yesterday. My friend was saying she needed to go to the store to pick up some items for dinner. It went something like this:

Friend: "I wish Bob weren't so picky."

DH: "Picky, how?"

Friend: "He only eats corn and potatoes and expects meat and bread at each meal. But he doesn't like casseroles."

DH: "As long as it's not cauliflower or coconut, I'll eat it. And as long as it satisfies my hunger, I don't care what we have."

He was telling the truth. He doesn't cook, but he never complains about what I fix. Leftovers or gourmet, he doesn't care.

As I was pondering this, it occurred to me that his attitude should bode well for our food budget. I'm really going to have to buckle down on this because prices keep going up and I don't have a choice. We always use up all our leftovers, so we're not wasting food. And we certainly don't do gourmet.

One thing I've been working on is lunches. I pack sandwiches for DH and DS every day. I've usually done deli meat, but the price of that has gotten out of hand, too. The past couple weeks, I've grilled an extra piece of chicken or made some extra barbecue chicken etc. and used that for sandwiches. I do use hoagie-type rolls because they hold up better and are more manageable for DS. All of these have gotten rave reviews from DS. No comment from DH, as is typical - as long as it fills him up, he's good.

You'd think after 26 years of marriage, this wouldn't take any effort. But it's a process. I'm going to spend some time in the kitchen next week and see what I can come up with. Because grocery prices sure don't look to be headed down anytime soon.

Happy Friday!

Sarah

3 comments:

  1. My husband will eat anything also. I t is great and prices are out of control here. I mean like going up >60 or .70 cents an item!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about homemade soups or stews for lunch - I know they're not as easy to handle though as sandwiches are. Wraps and half pitas are good too because you can put anything in them and they don't fall apart! Ditto around here on prices - meat is out of this world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fortunately for me the hubby cooks or we would both starve to death! I hope you post some of your recipes...it would be something I could surprise the hubby with!

    ReplyDelete