Tuesday, March 27, 2012

"It's your lucky day!"

Today is the day I was to participate in a focus group. It was to be a two-hour gig and the pay was to be $85. When I arrived, I signed in and then was told to help myself to lunch (they never mentioned I'd be fed!) while I waited. As several of us helped ourselves to sandwiches, the rest of the group trickled in - 10 of us in all. The receptionist then said to follow her when she called our names. Except she never called my name. Or the name of one other woman. When she came back, she said "It's your lucky day!" Apparently, they routinely overbook in case someone doesn't show and she picked us to "pay and release."

So 10 minutes after I arrived, I was given an envelope and told I could leave. The best part? The envelope had a $100 bill - not the $85 I had been told! Talk about easy money.

In other good news, DS found out this week that he has been accepted to the local public university, which is top-notch, an easy daily commute and at bargain tuition. We are thrilled for him and hugely relieved that his attending college is not going to be nearly as painful as it could have been.

All in all, it's been a pretty darned good week. Now I need to focus on packing for our weekend in NYC. We leave Friday!

Sarah

9 comments:

  1. So in essence they paid you to eat their food!! lol! Nice!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Getting paid to NOT participate in a focus group! That is a great gig if you can get it. Er, I mean, not get it.

    Congrats! What will you do with your $100?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Great deal! Happy for your son!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice gig! And congrats to DS on his college acceptance.

    What shows are you seeing again?

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh wow, that's great to get paid and released! and congrats on DS's college!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy moly, that was an easy $100!! Good for you! Can't wait to hear about your trip! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow that's great! I need to sign up for something like that! Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. AMAZING! I think it is your lucky day for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You obviously did'nt walk under any ladders, what an awesome week....

    ReplyDelete