Friday, February 24, 2012

A reminder of what's important

I attended a funeral this morning for the husband of a dear friend. He was all of 52 years old and in seemingly good health. He died in his sleep a few days ago. As I watched my friend and her only son grieve, I was struck by the rawness of their emotions. They didn't know when they said goodnight the other day that it would be the last time. They didn't know at Christmas that it was their last one together. They didn't know time was running out.

On Sunday, I'll be attending another funeral. This one for my grandmother. She also died in her sleep this week. But she was 97 years old and was of sound mind and fairly sound body right up until her death. We are not grieving her death, but rather celebrating a long and happy life.

You know, sometimes the money stuff just isn't all that important.

Sarah

10 comments:

  1. Sarah, so very sorry for the loss you have experienced this past week. It's so true, sometimes the money stuff isn't that important at all. It's wonderful that your grandmother lived a long, healthy and happy life.

    I just picked up the book "Heaven is for Real" from the library. A true story about a little boy who was blessed to get to go to heaven and come back. I'm looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! Death is a part of life and really puts things into their proper perspective. I'm 55 so when someone who's only 52 dies in their sleep, well, that's tragic. It confirms that we must live for today, while also planning for the future. Reaching 97, however, is indeed an accomplishment to celebrate! So, by the way, is funding your EF - congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about your losses. It is never a bad time to celebrate those that are still with you, because you never know when that opportunity will stop being an option.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so sad! It's a good reminder to never part with someone on bad terms.

    PS: I switched to a new blog www.micommoncents.com check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thats so true, it's easy to forget that we have no gaurantees, my condolences on the loss of your friend & gramdmother.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sorry for your losses, my grandmother always used to say, live every day like it is your last and treat everyone like it is the last ti,e you will see them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree. It is much easier to celebrate the life of someone who had a long and good life as opposed to people who seem to have passed too soon. Sorry about your recent loses!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry about your loss. I have been trying to just slow down and enjoy life and not wish the time away like I was

    ReplyDelete
  9. so very sad - maybe take this & know to slow down and take it one day at a time.... hugs your way

    ReplyDelete