Wednesday, February 1, 2012

On to February

January is usually a downer of a month. Because of holiday overtime, hubby's checks are the biggest in December, followed by the smallest in January. Business has been good, though, and the year has started off a whole lot better than previous ones. Maybe it's because this time last year, I had knots in my stomach every single day wondering how we would ever get out of this mess. We were behind on bills and no idea how to pay them. I kept the knot until March when I knew we had to face the music and call the creditors and set up some sort of workable plan.

Those calls sucked. It would take me hours to get up the nerve to make them. And then I had to admit to the person on the other end that we had done stupid a thousand times over and now we were entering desperate days. I had to lay everything out for them. How much we owed. How much we made. Why we couldn't pay what they wanted. But as bad as they were, they were what kick started this long and horrific journey for which there really is a light at the end of the very dark tunnel. We are still barely making it each month. And it will be this way for years. But for the first time we are seeing real progress. The numbers are going down instead of up. There's hope.

This post turned into my mind's rambling (I'm on serious allergy meds right now :), but I'll end with the tally for January. Drum roll, please.

We paid off another $1,304.99. We may be the tortoise, but we're going to win this race!

Sarah

10 comments:

  1. Slow and steady. You are an inspiration to me. I feel like I make no progress. But I am and so are you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Kim, you are one of the reasons I continue to blog. I always smile when I read your posts and know that I am not alone. We're making it!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. $1300 is HUGE, Sarah! I agree with Kim...slow and stead wins the race...

    Just start daydreaming about what you can do with the $1300 once the debt is paid off!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work on the debt payoff! That is *awesome*! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've come a long way already! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes you are!! What an amazing year of progress you've had - you're a real inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Wow, that's great progress Sarah!! Keep your chin up and keep plowing through whatever life throws your way! You are truly an inspiration to many :)

      Delete
  8. it is truly amazing that the numbers are still going down! so happy for you -so much better then staying the same or going up :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you are making great progress! it's heard but its a lesson worth learning! I am sure once you are out f this mess you'll never let yourself get back in it! I know I won't!

    ReplyDelete