Monday, February 6, 2012

Hey DH, help me out here will ya???

I tried to do a nice thing. I signed DH up for one of the online customer thingies that fast food restaurants promote. If you sign up, they send you a coupon for a free meal. Not a sandwich, a whole meal. DS happened to have a couple dollars left on a Christmas gift card to this same place. The coupon arrived Saturday and I ceremoniously presented it to DH, saying he and DS could go eat dinner there. I expected the final bill to be around $2 after the coupon and the gift card.

I see the receipt on the desk the next day. $12.93. Twelve! Um, I say calmly, what's the deal?? DH proudly shares that the cashier rang it up wrong the first time, but he caught it and got it fixed. I stare blankly. What? he asks, I used the gift card. And what about the coupon, I ask, trying not to shriek. Well, I gave it to him, says he. Too bad "him" never applied it.

I know it's not a lot and I'm trying not to dwell on it. (Really, I am. I figured if I vented here, I wouldn't take it out on DH.)

Ever feel like you're the only one focusing on the goal??

Sarah

13 comments:

  1. On my end DH is constantly browsing online for a new cell phone, flat screen tv and whatever else. Of course he usually doesn't end up buying anything but he feels that if he really wanted to, he should be able to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always giving my DH a coupon for whatever he wants to go out and get, and upon his return, 99% of the time he has not used it! Grrr! I think he is embarrassed :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Men don't like coupons and they will not argue with a clerk, they just pay and leave. Management would always rather deal with a man, women have a tendency to have the sh*& together. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh poo, that is too bad (bad DH, bad!) - and yes, I feel like that frequently! No one around here gives a crap about how much hydro they use even though I tell them over and over and over - one of these days I'll just give the bill to someone else to pay! Yeah, as if...

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH NO! I would be just as bummed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel your pain. My husband is also not good at/a fan of using coupons.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My DH is the coupon-person in our house, I can't be bothered most of the time. He is, however, TERRIBLE at remembering to pay his visa after he uses it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know what it feels like! My BF is the same.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Changes the names and places and this could be me and Hubs!lolol
    I feel your pain....

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL that's why women are usually in charge of the shopping and spending money!

    ReplyDelete
  11. YES! I've come to the conclusion my DH will never be as "on board" as I am. He is better than he used to be, but no where near as frugal as I am.

    BTW, you've been tagged: http://payingformypast.blogspot.com/2012/02/tag-youre-it.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am with Kim (OMW). Your DH is probably on board with your plan... but coupons and asking for a bill to be fixed may be something like asking for directions. Not many want to do that and they'd rather leave without little incident. I have shopped with my dad and other guy-friends and I know they sort of cringe at the idea of coupons, deals, or having to go to the customer-service desk to ask for a refund after being rung wrong. Sucks he didn't use the coupon.

    ReplyDelete