Friday, December 9, 2011

The Christmas tree came ... and went

The day after Thanksgiving, DH and DS1 went out and spent $45 on a freshly cut tree. They carted it home, wrestled it into the stand, filled it with water and then did what they do every year. Left it for me to decorate. By the time I was done, it looked quite lovely.

The next day I went to water the tree and ran into a problem. The water was at the exact same level as it had been the day before. Given that I'm used to a tree gulping down water at an impressive rate the first few days it's home, I found this rather upsetting. I mentioned it to my hubby, who said I worry too much.

Three days later and the water mark was the same. I knew we were in trouble. The needles were already starting to shed way too fast. About that time, DS2 started coughing and showing signs of congestion. His chronic health problems put me on high alert. The timing was a bit too coincidental for me. So on Tuesday, a little over a week after it went up, the tree came down. I cleaned up the needles, mopped the floor and aired out the house.

DS started feeling better almost immediately. I guess that means our days of a real tree are over. Ironically, the day before I decided to ditch the tree, my Mom mentioned that she had decided not to put up her artificial tree this year - she was just going to use a tabletop one. I called and she was happy to offer up her tree to us. So tomorrow, DH and DS1 will go get a Christmas tree - again.

All's well that ends well, I suppose. And I'm warming up to the idea of not having to string lights ever again!

Sarah

10 comments:

  1. I love having a real christmas tree, but my family all get allergic as well so we have to have a plastic one

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor guy - I'm so glad you have a different tree to use & that he's recovering from getting sick. That's the pits!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah!
    I'm so sorry the tree didn't work out, but I'm so glad you were able to put something up. Real trees are tricky..I always worry when they don't "drink".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand what it's like to have health problems that prevent a real tree. I've been the same way.

    I'm glad you have an option to go to that won't cause another pay-out.

    I wanted to commend you for the progress you are making on your debt! $10,000 + is a fantastic amount to have paid off!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear that DS is doing better. Health scares are, well, scary! It's great that you will able to get your mom's tree.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a friend once tell me that "our pre-lit Christmas tree has been very good for our marriage"... I giggled when she told me that, but I can totally see the logic.

    :) Enjoy the easy-tree!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG I cant imagine getting the tree all set up then having to take it down but of course the family's health is more important than a tree! At least this way you will get a nice looking tree AND a healthy kid!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds about like my week!!! No Live Christmas Trees ovah here... Such is Life!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm waiting for Michael to come home and then we're going to go cut down our own tree. Even though I have a perfectly nice artificial one in the basement. He prefers real, so I say, he who prefers real must pay for real!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've just discovered your blog and can sympathize with your husband. I'm allergic to pine trees so have to have an artificial one now. Good luck with your debt reduction. It's hard I know but you'll get there :)

    ReplyDelete