Saturday, December 31, 2011

Adios, 2011

2011 wasn't a complete bummer of a year. Our daughter was married in a beautiful, simple, fun wedding to someone we're crazy about. They're doing well.

Our son started a teaching job early in the year and lost his appendix four days before the insurance kicked in. The surgeon was competent, and the hospital folks were understanding, helping him wend his way through a bit of red tape in reaching a very acceptable payment plan.

We see our son often and have seen our daughter and her hubby several times this year, tho they're 5+ hours away. And we all survived our recent babysitting stint of their two dogs!

Despite a few more aches and creaks than last year, our health has been good.

Surely there's more. Hmmm....

On the flip side, however, 2011 has been a year I won't mind seeing come to a close in a few hours. It started out with a bang when our income dropped with a thud last winter (which started December 1 and didn't let up for months) while the bills rushed in at breakneck speed. It was the first time I had to deal with credit card folks - then collections - to explain our circumstances. Repeatedly. Like Sarah, it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought, mostly because I DID communicate and because our credit had previously been good. Still, I dreaded making the calls.

While that was going on, hubby's job provided enough migraine moments for a lifetime. His firing from the coaching part of his job last month was a relief in many ways, and we feel certain a change in teaching location will happen soon. After that? No clue what God has in mind, but we think we're ready!

Stress was the norm during 2011, with enough panic thrown in to keep me tossing and turning in what little sleep I got and during waking hours, too.

Having spoken the word bankruptcy numerous times over the past month has eased the realization that short of finding a winning multigazillion lottery ticket, it's the only option we have left to escape the debt quicksand we've been fighting. I am eager to see the light in 2012 in both money matters and hubby's job situation, which will free up time to clean up and out around here and boost our income with several projects. Brain paralysis isn't good for much, and I'm looking forward to escaping its clutches in more ways than one.

Like Sarah, I've been inspired by all of you as you strive to beat the $$$ demons! May 2012 be one of even greater success for you. For all of us.

Jenny

5 comments:

  1. 2012 is going to be great for all of us - it has to get better, right :) just stay positive & keep trudging!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year Jenny! You and your sister have inspired me to begin to face our big ugly DEBT monster. I am committed to make 2012 a debt payoff whirlwind. I have cut almost every "want" from our budget...and we are down to bare bones. If we can continue this for one year, I have promised myself that we can have a little more wiggle room the next few years until the debt is paid off.

    So in order to start this journey....somehow I have to spit out the numbers, the UGLY truth. I hope you and Sarah don't mind me doing it on your blog.

    OK...here goes without too much detail:

    Line of Credit $75,215.18
    Owe Parents $32,000.00
    Mortgage $104,259.50

    For a grand total of $211474.68 of Debt

    No wonder I can't sleep at night :(
    It seems so surreal to see that number on paper....and very difficult to reveal.

    Thank you Sarah and Jenny SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much for inspiring me!! I love reading your blog, keep up the good work...and have a wonderful 2012!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Nuggets - so glad you commented again! Believe me, I totally understand the courage it takes to face up to those numbers. But trust me when I say it's the first step and worth all the pain. Once I saw the numbers all in one place, I could also see the progress (or lack thereof), which helped keep the motivation going. Congratulations on putting it out there and know that there are a lot of people ready to be your support system. If you decide to start blogging, be sure to let us know so we can follow you! I hope you do, because it really does help keep you on track!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your kind words of encouragement Sarah. I still can't believe I put that number out there!! But it truly did feel somewhat empowering to do it! I don't know the first thing about blogging, and not so sure I could keep up with it LOL...so for now, I will certainly keep reading your blogs and I will update my progress at the end of 2012!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome, @ Nuggets30!

    Like Sarah's already said (because she's the alert one!), putting the numbers on paper takes courage. It made me ill to see our own a couple of years ago and then to share them with my husband, but it was a freeing experience in that I didn't have to dwell on them alone.

    And while your numbers are terrifying to you, they could be worse! I know.

    The PF bloggers are exceptional in their support and suggestions, so welcome to the club! And if you should start blogging yourself, holler :)

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete