Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Stockpiling the peanut butter

Stockpiling might be overstating it a bit, but I did buy a stash of big jars last week. The peanut butter aisle was an interesting study. Clearly, some of the sizes and brands had been recently replenished. Others had been there longer. The prices varied widely depending, I presume, on which of the two categories the jars fell. In case there's anyone who hasn't heard, the past season was a rotten one for peanuts. Really rotten. As in, peanuts have now escalated from ordinary, run-of-the mill nut to premium treat. I was able to snag some jars at the lower price and am hoping they last long into next year. Mostly, I didn't want to miss out on some of our favorite Christmas goodies with PB as a key ingredient.

If you use a lot of peanut butter, you might want to try to grab some before it becomes the treat of the rich.

In other news, we only had four trick-or-treaters last night. Which means there is way too much candy within reach.

Sarah

6 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to stock up. We're out right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have peanuts gone up in price? I've noticed a few bloggers stocking up on peanut butter lately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Louise, prices are tripling - at least. Bad crop = high cost for the consumer. I've been mostly thinking about Christmas baking and the budget!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We use a fair bit of peanut butter around here AND I buy organic with no additives which is a bit more expensive. Thanks for the tip, I'll start looking for specials!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, sounds like what happened to bananas here. One bad season can have such a big impact on prices!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been meaning to stock up on peanut butter because I had been hearing about how bad the crops were... Next shopping trip!

    ReplyDelete