Tuesday, November 15, 2011

I knew it was too easy

A little while back, I wrote about how easy it had been for me to enter into a payment plan for our Citi card - 60 months at 0%. Doesn't get much better than that. ...

Until they screw up.

Well, it really started when we closed our bank account and went to the credit union. I called Citi and let them know this was happening and that I was authorizing them to make withdrawals from a different account (actually, decided on the ING account so they couldn't access ALL our funds ...). Anyway, the gal said all was good. And it was. On the 28th, they took the payment from the new account. And they also tried to take it from the old account. I noticed this online and called them ... again ... and explained their error. No problem, the new woman said - after she had spoken with her supervisor and I had been on the phone for a gazillion minutes. But I did think it was taken care of. Mostly because she said it was.

Then the phone calls started. I kept getting calls from a number in Kentucky. I would answer. They would hang up. This was going on several times a day for a week. Finally fed up, I googled the number today and found that it is a Citi collections number. So off I went to call again. This time, my Citi rep was, I believe, from India and very difficult for me to understand. I explained the problem and he looked at my account and said "They are calling because your payment was returned." I would go through the story again and stress that Citi did indeed get their money, but tried to take twice that amount despite my having headed off any problems. His response: See above. It was like a Who's on first? routine. I think I finally have it straightened out now. He assured me the phone calls would stop. I won't be making bets on that holding forever, though.

Being in debt is hard work, you know?

On another note, if you are inclined to pray, would you please send one up for Jenny?She and her husband are going through a difficult job situation right now and are stressed about financial decisions that need to be made. It's hard seeing your sister struggle, even when you are right there behind her.

Hope everyone is having a great week so far!

Sarah

9 comments:

  1. Uggh I hate credit card problems! Why can't they just fix it and it be done?

    And I'm praying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry you had to go through that, but stay on top of them. They can be sneaky.

    Sending prayers to Jenny and her family. Financial stress can lead to physical stress. Make sure she is taking care of herself!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sure hope they have it fixed now and you aren't bugged by those annoying phone calls anymore. It's horrible when it's probably as simple as a click of a mouse. Where are the competent workers?!

    I will certainly keep Jenny and family in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh how frustrating! I have found citibank a bit difficult to deal with, I hope it's sorted and sending good thoughts to Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you ALL for the kind thoughts and prayers! I know Jenny appreciates them.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate when they do mix-ups like that, but I hate it even more that they almost purposedly do these messes so you have to pay more in fees. Hope you got it resolved, and best wishes for Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  7. First off....my positive thoughts to Jenny and family.

    Second....I am so sick and tired that people just can't get their stuff together and not screw up our lives!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry about the confusion with Citi - what a hassle! Hope it all gets worked out asap! And, good thoughts coming to your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lots of positive vibes being sent Jenny's way - hope everything works out ok.
    I HATE those calls when you can't understand what they're saying. And it's all a script anyways, they don't really "hear" you! Hope its all fixed up now!

    ReplyDelete