Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Can't cut the cable, but did cut the bill!

I got a letter from the cable company a few days ago saying that our Price Lock Guarantee is about to expire, but good news! I can do nothing and it will automatically renew - with a price increase of only $13 a month. The letter went on to tell me what a great deal this was and how easy it was because I don't even have to call them - they'll just start charging me an extra $13 on their own. Aren't they nice?

Anyway, as cable is considered a necessity in our house, and money is in short supply, I called despite the company's great advice. I explained to the woman that it was already a struggle to pay this bill and asked what she could offer me. She immediately "found" a program that costs $15 less than what we are now paying. Um, yes please!

So instead of my bill going up, it's actually going to go down. Of course, half of me thinks "what a racket." But I'm not going to complain. I'm going to say the 15 minutes on hold before speaking with a live person was worth it.

Sarah


15 comments:

  1. Great job! That's good news. They always have some sort of program, and I'm glad they offered you something. Though that was nice of them to give you the option to put more money in their pockets. So coy these companies are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is the same with internet companies. They always have a deal. Check your cell company also. I saved about $70.00 going with a family promo I did not know I had.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! They are such a racket it makes me ill.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you, it always feel like a racket when I call. I give that job to my husband, because I lose all good sense when I talk to them. Good work lowering your bill!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's $30 difference per month or $360 per year (plus tax I assume)! I need to be more proactive like you, I just stupidly keep paying...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just asking is awesome. My DH recently got a lot of our insurance cut by just asking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow that's amazing!! Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. congrats - that is great - we just cut our cable off --- it is actually pretty funny, our local stations with an antennae (sp off I'm sure!) come in so much clearer then cable did!!! We are getting used to Roku & don't even miss ours... it is saving us $100 per month ! (used to be $149 with internet & phone - just keeping internet for $50)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I should call cable...... Such a racket!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it's time I start calling the telephone and cable company.

    GREAT job on being persistent! :)!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good for you!! I'd have done the same thing!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello,

    I am Anya Bennett a financial writer. I write on several finance related topics like debt, loans, insurance, investment and so on. While surfing through the internet to find a suitable blog for writing articles, I came across your blog. It is highly resourceful with rich and nice contents and has a vivid presentation. I must appreciate your hard work and wish you good luck.

    I was wondering if you can allow me to write for your site/blog. I assure you to provide you an absolutely unique but relevant article so that it proves to be useful to your readers. It would be a great thing if you could take a look at the proposal and lemme know what you feel about it. I'll wait for a positive reply from you.

    If you are displeased with my email, I cordially regret in advance.

    My Kind Regards,
    Anya Bennett.
    Email ID: anya.bennet@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete