Friday, September 9, 2011

Surgery, recovery and, of course, bills

We're a week past DS's surgery and are so relieved to be here. DS has made remarkable progress and we are optimistic that the surgery was a success. What a blessing!

DS spent only one night in PICU and another night in a regular room. We're frequent visitors to hospitals, but DS had not been an in-patient in this particular one since 2005. Once we were moved to a regular room, I found things had changed. Specifically, a nurse never administered his medication during the time we were there. The nurse on duty would bring in the medications - five in all - and plop the measured doses on the bed tray. And leave. The first time it happened, I wasn't sure what to do. I am certainly capable of giving him his medicine. But I couldn't believe that I would be left to do so unsupervised. There were some pretty heavy duty narcotics in there and I kept thinking that if I had a drug problem, this might just be the place to go.

At any rate, we're home and I'm sure the insurance company has been busy trying to figure out how much they can get us to pay.

I finally updated our current debt. You probably won't be able to tell because it's not much of a difference. Our terrific progress has come to a screeching halt this summer. We've had to use a credit card more than once. On the upside, the total did go down, if only by $100+. At least it went down!

My grocery bill in September has been wonderfully light. Church friends have been feeding us for the past week and consequently the fridge is bursting at the seams with yummy offerings. I've even been able to freeze some of what we couldn't finish for later. I'm so thankful for good friends.

It will take me awhile to catch up with all of you, but I will!

Sarah


7 comments:

  1. Happy to read that everything turned out good and even better is that even with the turn of events your debt level still decreased. I wish DS a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad the surgery went well! You should be proud of your decrease in debt, no matter what the amount! Hopefully the generosity of friends can lighten your grocery load and help you make another dent to that debt this month. Missed your blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad that DS is doing well. But it really does concern me that they left medication with YOU. You are MOM when you are in the hospital, not NURSE. Are you sure this was policy, or did they take advantage that you know what you are doing?

    The medical bills...I accepted the fact that in our house, at least for now, they will be there. I don't even think about them anymore.

    I hope you have some time for you, to recoup!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mysti, it concerned me too. I would have questioned whether it was policy if it had been only one nurse - but it was every single nurse on every single shift. I did fill out a survey today and let them know how dangerous I thought it was to leave it to the sleep-deprived parents. And what if the parents can't read? It's crazy.

    Yep, medical bills. Bleh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am happy for you, the surgery is over and you only did not go any farther into debt this summer. I did go farther into debt, I think most of us did. So you are a winner. medical bills are my nemesis.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear all turned out well regarding DS's surgery! You must be so relieved. The last thing I'd be thinking about is my debt but the fact that you've paid off over $10,000 is phenomenal! You'll be able to get back on track now and make further reductions by year end. Success on ALL counts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy that ds is doing well! I don't know what say about some nurses/dr's... *sigh* At least your cc debt didn't go up! $100 is $100! :)

    ReplyDelete