Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Murphy's been busy this week

Murphy started by visiting the bathroom. The toilet wouldn't stop running. He then moved to the kitchen. When he was done, the dishwasher wouldn't work. Then he went for the big guns. He checked out the van and made sure the brakes needed replacing.

I've decided I don't want to check up on Murphy anymore. It's too much work - and way too expensive - cleaning up after him. I replaced the flapper on the toilet for $4.36. Ha, Murphy! The dishwasher is just going to have to stay broken for the time being. It won't be the first time I've done dishes by hand. Double ha, Murphy! The van is the challenge. The brakes will have to be taken care of. Hubby is in charge of that. So, Murphy, we survived your visit and life goes on.

In other news, we did indeed join a local credit union and are in the process of making the changeover from Wachovia/Wells Fargo. It's going to take awhile to clear everything, but in the end I know we will be much happier.

Found out yesterday that 100% of the costs associated with DS's $25,000+ surgery will be covered by insurance - woo hoo! Sometimes it pays to easily make the annual deductible early on.

We still don't have two nickels to rub together. And two of our bills will be paid late this month. But on the upside, I came across some notes I had made this time last year and the total debt I had scribbled down was $172,800. So we're about $15,000 better off now than we were then. It's not much when you look at our numbers, but it's better than the alternative. I know we can do this. It's going to take what seems like forever, but it can be done. When we finally get to the point where we have much of a snowfall, there's going to be a blizzard! I'm glad we decided to forego the bankruptcy route and dig out on our own. I certainly don't fault anyone who makes that decision, but for us, the satisfaction of having paid it all off and doing it ourselves is going to pay off in a big way - and I don't mean dollars and cents.

Sarah

6 comments:

  1. I am glad you are going with the credit union. Did I ever mention how much I love mine? In fact there is a post where they save my ass again today.

    You really kicked murphys ass..way to go

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the insurance covering the surgery is completely an answered prayer! Hope the recovery continues to go well.

    Glad to hear you are in good spirits despite Murphy hanging around! Hopefully he has packed his bags now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dishwasher has been down for months. Also brakes are easy to replace, check at a local high school auto program, they will fix them for cost of parts and a pizza! I am proud of you, yes it does take a long time, but you can do this. Bankruptcy is an alternative but it stays with you forever it seems, this way you walk away and don't look back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go on the debt payoff. $15,000 is no chump change! Even at a modest 5% interest rate, that's $750 interest each year you won't be charged. Keep up the great work :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Murphy needs to take a holiday...somewhere far far away! Glad you have the gumption to boot his ass to the curb! What a godsend about the insurance coverage - hallelujah and I'm not religious:) You HAVE made awesome progress and good for you for taking the long view...we don't see much difference day to day but over a year's time?? Wowzer!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you've paid of $15,000 of the debt since last year! I think that's absolutely amazing and is major progress to correcting the finances! Keep up the amazing work!!

    I also love that you kicked Murphy's butt on those items!!

    ReplyDelete