Wednesday, July 20, 2011

So much for no new debt ...

After trying various fixes, it has been determined that the hot water heater is kaput. Well, that's not entirely true. It could be fixed, but the cost of the repair would be nearly as much as a new one.

So today we will have a new one installed. And it is at this point that I am so frustrated that I haven't been able to rebuild our emergency fund after draining it for a medical expense earlier this year. If I had that $1,000 in the EF, I could write a check for the stupid water heater and be done with it.

But I don't. And so I am having to pull out a credit card. I have to tell you, it's killing me. It means I won't be making any progress this month and it will feel like I'm going backward.

Could I have made different decisions in the past six months that would have enabled me to add more to the EF? Maybe. Probably. But the fact remains that we currently live paycheck to paycheck and any time there's an extra dollar there seems to be an extra bill that eats it immediately. No excuses, it just is what it is.

Tomorrow is a new day. And with any luck I will have had a hot shower.

Sarah

8 comments:

  1. You do what you have to do, but your mind set is different now. If every dollar were not ear marked for debt you could get a fund, but right now this is your life. It will get better. Could you put it on 6 mo. same as cash?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what it's like to fall on your face so soon after starting out on your debt free journey. This is the stuff life is made of. However, imagine if you had not had an Emergency fund in place, and having to put the E-fund paid medical bill AND the hot water heater on credit?
    Today, your family is still better off than you were a year ago, or even 6 months ago.
    I am remided of something a wise person once said to me.
    "When you fall on your face, at least you were moving in the right direction."
    Today the hot water heater may feel like a giant leap backwards, but a year from now, you may look back and only see a little bump in the road.
    Keep up your faith. All will come in good time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have ALL done it. It sounds so easy to replenish the EF, but when Murphy comes a knockin....he isn't nice. Pay it and move on.

    I am trying to plan for household repairs, so we don't have to dip into EF. Notice I say TRYING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with out my window on this one - the important thing is your mind-set has changed. Sometimes I think the powers-that-be throw a few grenades in our path to test us - make sure we are determined to stay on track and reach our goal. Things will get easier - at least now the hot water heater is one less worry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's just murphy trying to get you down. Don't you let him!!! You are doing this thing! Chin up and press on! We're hear for you and cheering you on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It happens, way more often than we'd like. But you'll pick it back up and get back on track, no worries. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't let it get you down! You're still making overall forward progress. I would try to get that EF built back up though before paying any extra on the debt so that next time Murphy shows up you don't have to pull out a credit card. JMHO

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a pain, for sure, but we waited too long and ended up having to redo the whole basement because the hot water heater leaked all over the place!

    Keep plugging...this is a MINOR set back, you can do it!!

    ReplyDelete