Thursday, July 21, 2011

Another annoying expense

Hot on the heels of a new hot water heater, I had to begrudgingly shell out some more money today - though not nearly as much as yesterday.

DS will be a high school senior this year and with that comes senior pictures. Having been through this twice already, I know I will have his taken by a family friend who is a professional photographer. The pictures turn out great and we get a huge discount. But in order for DS to appear in the yearbook, he has to have a picture taken in a tux at a local studio. But not just any studio. It's the studio that is doing the pictures for nearly every high school in five counties. And it's a zoo.

They sent us the slick brochure some time back offering several "packages." Basically, the package is the number of outfits and poses you decide you want and the corresponding sitting fee. I called the studio, saying I only wanted to have his yearbook photo taken. That's fine, she says. And it will be $25. That's to sit, not to get an actual photo to take home.

I realize the studio has to make money, but it annoys the heck out of me that I don't have a choice. (I did check in to this. The school only allows senior photos sent from this business. I'm not sure, but I think that's called a racket.)

Adding to the fun is the fact that it is a mere 102 degrees here today. And there was barely enough room for me to turn around in that place, much less a very large wheelchair.

Fun, fun. Let senior year begin....

Sarah

5 comments:

  1. Why couldn't the school just hire a photographer to go to the school and take the pictures there? Seems like it would be a lot less hassel (and cheaper). Guess they just like making things difficult. There's been quite a bit of uproar over a school in Auckland, NZ lately because they've made iPads compulsory for all students - completely ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. iPads??? How can they get away with that ... wait, don't answer that. The photographers come to the school for the underclassmen, but for the seniors who have to be done in tuxes and drapes it's a no go. I just don't remember things being this complicated back in the dark ages when I was in school.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. The whole Sr. year is a racket. I had two last year! Our youngest and a foster son. Luckily I too have a parent that is the most sought after photographer in the valley, he was glad to do it for trade! I also collect tuxes as part of my alteration business and can outfit any date the girls have. But I started young, about 16 years ago with the oldest and realized if I was raising girls I had better get busy and figure out how to do it cheap!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are correct. It is a racket. Senior year is all about all those annoying expenses. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know it's hard and unexpected but these are just minor setbacks to your goal. One day you will achieve it so for now just don't ever give up..

    ReplyDelete