Thursday, May 12, 2011

Wedding dress blues

While Jenny has been on the hunt for wedding attire for her daughter's wedding, I've been doing the opposite. A year ago, it was my daughter who was planning the family wedding and then, weeks before the big day, her intended called it off. After the dust settled and the hurt feelings started to subside, we were left with a bunch of non-refundable deposits and a closet full of dresses. Seven, to be exact. One bridal gown and six for the bridesmaids.

I've let the dresses just stay stored for awhile until I thought my daughter was ready to face the issue. I broached the subject with her this week. I knew she'd have no problem getting rid of the bridesmaids' dresses, but I wondered about the bridal gown. She loved that gown and how it looked on her. But she said yesterday that as much as she does love it, she can't imagine ever wearing it without having all those bad memories dredged up. I was relieved, because I feel the same way.

So I took all the dresses to a bridal consignment shop and am hoping there's a bride out there wanting a great deal on never worn dresses. We won't make much after the shop takes its cut, but something's better than nothing so I've got my fingers crossed.

Sarah

5 comments:

  1. Ugh! My heart goes out to your daughter. Good for her for taking that step to continue to move forward.

    About a year and a half ago I got married. 2 months into it he decided someone else was a better fit for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Little Lamb, bless your heart! I have repeatedly been thankful that DD's wedding was called off before the fact so as to spare her worse heartache. Now I'm even more impressed by the way you are taking control of your life! Hugs to you,

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could you try Craig's List instead? Either way, it will be nice to have those dresses gone. They will always bring up bad memories. It is better that they didn't go through with it if it wasn't right. That's much easier said than done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouch, your poor daughter. She'll be better off, I'm sure. Good luck! I hope it works out and you can get some cash for the dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PreOwnedWeddingDresses.com is a great site to sell your dress too. I bought mine there at about 50% off list-price. Worked better for me than trying the eBay or Craigslist route.

    I went through the called-off wedding too just a few years ago :( I hope your DD finds someone who makes her a million times happier!!!

    ReplyDelete