Friday, May 27, 2011

SAT stress

Tomorrow the College Board will tell us DS's SAT scores and I'm a nervous wreck. My kids are historically not the best at standardized test taking. My older DS's scores limited his college choices, even though his grades and extracurriculars were solid. Consequently, I hate the SATs and hate that DS's scores will seriously affect my life.

Because of his health issues, DS will continue to live at home during college. And I will continue to drive him to school. We are fortunate that we are in an area with several universities. But there are really only two which would be appropriate for him. One is a private school about 45 minutes away with a hefty price tag. The second is a large public university about 10 minutes away with reasonable tuition rates. DS will most likely have no trouble being accepted to the private school. The public school, however, has the luxury of being more selective because of the number of applicants it receives. If DS doesn't have solid SAT scores, he can forget it and I can plan on spending the next few years in the car and sweating over the transportation and tuition costs.

So please send some good vibes our way. We could use some good news tomorrow.

Sarah



8 comments:

  1. You march yourself into the president's office of that public college, regardless of his scores and demand because of his health issues that he be accepted. It will happen. Gather your army of teachers and colleagues and go fight for his future. You pay taxes don't you? I know this will work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's hoping the scores come in good and that the public school works out! Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to. Where do you live? There are so many programs available for students you just need to find the right one. If a college takes federal money and is a state school they must provide classes for special needs or health. They cannot turn him down. Start making phone calls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope it works out for the best. Marching into the president's office is also worth a shot, Kim could be on to something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I agree with Kim - as a special education teacher here in Canada all colleges and universities have to accommodate kids with health concerns - it's your son's RIGHT to an education. Hoping for the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not a proponent of marching into someone's office and demanding things...but I would say doing your research and finding out what resources and assistance are available is important. Does he have time to take the SAT's again, maybe just focusing on one part to try to bring up his scores? That can be easier than trying to deal with the whole test. Just a suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My oldest went to a private college with a hefty tuition but lots of scholarships, my middle one is at a state college which is much more affordable but is small and she did get scholarships also.

    I hated the SAT's hated them. But they unfortunatly are a fact of life, that being said my son totally tanked the first time he took them. But we were lucky that his school held SAT classes which brought his scores up enough to get into the college. Now my son will be a special ed teacher in the fall and he said that sometimes allowances are made if the school is aware. Dont know if it helps but I am sending you good thoughts

    Judy

    ReplyDelete