Thursday, May 5, 2011

I stayed in the black this week ... barely

Tomorrow is payday and, as always, it can't come soon enough. Living paycheck to paycheck has always been the way of life, but before we always had that credit card "cushion" to see us through the tough times. Now that those days are gone, we have to count, pull and stretch every single penny to get from one paycheck to the next.

But I'm going to call today a success so far. I went grocery shopping and spent $120.79 - that's $29.21 under budget. And that included a bottle of Advil (for the debt-induced headaches) and my serious downfall - Diet Coke. I know I should give that up, but I don't want to. I know that sounds like a kid in the candy store, but that's where I am right now.

But I digress. On the way home from the store, the gas light came on in the car. I stopped at the gas station and posted my grocery spending to the checkbook before heading to the pump. There was $13.83 left. So I put $10 worth of gas in the tank, which will get me through today (used to get me through way more than one day ...). I don't anticipate any more expenses today, so I'm snowflaking the $3.83 to Discover.

And now I'm going to drink a Diet Coke. Don't judge.

Sarah


13 comments:

  1. Oh Sarah, will you be my friend. I to am a diet coke-aholic. It is my only vice. Okay maybe that is not true, I have other vices, but I love Diet coke. When people get on me about it, I tell them when I sniff it I drown.

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go. I too live paycheck to paycheck. I have enough for a little more gas and some food until tomorrow. But it ticks me off that gas went up again four freaking cents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Snowflaking every little dollar and cent to your debt, along with your regular payments will get you to debt free. In the beginning, it doesn't seem like much, but every little bit truly does count!
    Enjoy your diet coke, knowing you made it through another week without adding to your debt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not that you barely made it, it's that you made it and had a little left to snowflake!

    No judging here... as you saw in my post, it's chocolate. Ugh! But I want to stop... ok I do and I don't...

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's ok to have a little indulgence to keep your sanity. debt payoff is hard work and a little reward every now and then is perfectly fine. i've found that if i budget for an indulgence, it makes it even tastier.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, everybody! I feel better about my indulgence. It's an addiction - but at least it's low-cal :)

    @ Kim - consider us friends!! Always happy to meet a fellow addict!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everybody needs a vice and if Diet Coke is yours, then you are in a way better situation than many people. I love Diet Coke and I've thought about giving it up but I don't want to. In fact, when I was pregnant, I gave up everything but soda. I still drank one soda a day. I gave up alcohol, cigarettes, rollerblading and a few other things but not my daily soda. Thankfully, my kid is fine :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are far worse vices than Diet Coke. But you made it to payday!!!! Good for you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Think of the more expensive vices you could indulge in. . .Diet Coke isn't that bad, now is it??

    Hang in there, Sarah. You can do it! You will do it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on making it through the week, and with a debt snowflake to boot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL! Good for you. Living paycheck to paycheck is tough, but you are making progress! And a snowflake to boot? Way to go :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. No judgement here! Doesnt matter what you end the week with as long as its something!!!

    I think you did great

    Judy

    ReplyDelete