We talked about the finances and I pulled out receipts and found that I'm under budget on groceries for this month. Also, it's been a mild spring, meaning the A/C bills haven't started up yet. Looking ahead, July will see a major drop in gasoline use while school is out and no traveling is planned. In short, we saw some room to do this without adding to our debt.
I realize that for a lot of years, we have been making decisions based on the shadow of our son's life-threatening disease. We've made poor financial choices because we've been so focused on living in the moment - not knowing if it would be the last one we'd have. We're accepting responsibility for those choices now - and we're paying the price in the form of crushing debt brought on by enormous medical expenses and a live-for-now attitude. The difference this time is that we are truly thinking it through.
I think that's progress, even if it slows our payoff a bit. So I deferred to my husband and we're going to go. It was a tough call, but we're doing it without regrets. Is it the right decision? I don't know. But we made the decision together with eyes wide open.