Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Delayed April recap

I didn't do an April recap on May 1 because, honestly, I didn't think there was a whole lot to tell. I felt like things were pretty stagnant. But in thinking about it, I realize there has been progress. Baby steps, as Dave Ramsey says.
  1. Emergency Fund - not much to brag about here; the EF stands at $80. But that's better than $0. Dollar-a-Week Christmas Account - it's up to $66; I'm really excited about this one - it's going to save me come November (Thanks again, Eboo!!)
  2. Discover Card - I knocked $123 off the balance. Not a lot, but it is going in the right direction and I am sending more than the minimum. Even a few snowflakes in there. I want this one long gone by this time next year.
  3. Grocery Spending - I think I did really well here. My goal has been to get it to under $150 a week ($650 a month). I spent $528 this month - that's an average of $122 a week.
  4. No new debt - Done! This is huge, I think. I paid cash for DS2's glasses and for a birthday gift for DS1, among other things.
Writing it down like this gives me motivation to make May even better. Gas prices are still killing us, but bringing down the grocery costs when I didn't think it was possible is helping to offset that.

Baby steps ... game on!

Sarah

14 comments:

  1. Debts going down, savings going up, no new debt. Isn't that what it's all about? You're doing a great job! Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job Missy!!!! You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No new debt is a brilliant. You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job on keeping the groceries below budget. I've really noticed an increase with groceries where I live. I know that they're so closely tied with gas prices. It looks like you made good progress to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your grocery budget is exactly where mine needs to be...any menu ideas to share?? :)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah you are doing excellent! So happy for you and I'm glad you did your recap because the baby steps you are taking are going to keep getting you further and further ahead. Just like Eboo says! *High five to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the plan, no new debt, pay down and save. No matter how little it is still progress. You eat an elephant one bite at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is great!!!! I think that is going to be my May Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job! Congrats on moving in the right direction! I know gas is a necessity, but I've worked on bringing down my gas expenses by combining trips, carpooling, and riding my bike when my errand or friends house is local. Just a few ideas if you're looking for new challenges. (LBC Teacher...I can't log in for some reason)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that saying and it is so apropos to what we are all trying to accomplish: "you eat an elephant one bite at a time". Though I would rather imagine an elephant-sized Dairy Queen mudslide blizzard with extra pecans! You have only just begun and already you've got the formula down pat. Now it's all about plodding along - one month at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. No new debt and seeing the debt go down is a great achievement! Don't discount yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  12. you're doing a great job. it's hard to balance cuttting expenses when gas and groceries keep going up but you're doing it! i'm looking forward to see how may turns out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not to long found your blog and did a little catching up on all your posts, I'll be along for your journey offering support where I can. I wish you both the best.

    ReplyDelete