Monday, May 23, 2011

Decisions, decisions

My parents threw a twist in the summer plans when they announced yesterday that they have rented a beach condo for the second week in June and the family is invited to come for part or all of their time there.

We could manage a long weekend away - rather DS and I could. DH could only come for one night. So the decision becomes do we do a really, really quick trip (it's a 3-4 hour drive one-way). Or do we leave DH at home and I handle all the medical equipment DS requires on my own. Or do we skip it all together?

The trip would cost us the gas to get there and back. Otherwise, it's all expenses paid. But the price of gas is no small matter. And the week after this potential trip, the whole family will be heading to Florida for a week to attend a medical conference related to DS's illness. That trip was basically a Christmas gift from both our sets of parents, but we need to factor in the price of gas there, too.

Wouldn't it be nice to just pack up and go on a moment's notice? That's where I want to be at the end of this debt journey.

Dreaming of sand and surf ...

Sarah

4 comments:

  1. That's a hard call. It would be very tempting to go but gas is so expensive. I'm not sure what to tell you. I would probably not go as you're going to Florida the week after but it would be really nice to hang out at the beach with family. Sorry, not much help here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy that is tough, but I understand your dilemma. I also want to get out of debt so I can leave and go see my grandson or my mother without panicking about gas and who will cover my work. Can you squeeze the gas out of any other source? Probably a dumb question because I know I couldn't!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah that's sure a tough one. But going there also sounds like lots of work/money. If you go alone then you have manage all the medical stuff alone. If you wait for hubby its so short it almost doesn't seem worth the work/money. Seeing that you are heading to Florida the following week and will probably get to to enjoy the sand and surf there, I think I would wait.

    Yes it will be a nice day when the debt is gone and things like these are no longer that much of an issue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that I'd skip the condo and stick with the Florida trip. It seems like the only expense would be gas but you never know what other things might pop up that you'd have to pay for. If you could hitch a ride with someone else that would be different, but I'm not sure if that is possible with medical equipment to take with you.

    ReplyDelete