Monday, May 30, 2011

At peace with the unknown

Well, DS' SAT scores are in and are about what we expected. Not out of the ballpark horrible, but barely skimming the minimum likely needed for his first-choice school. DH, DS and I spent a long time talking things over this weekend and we did make one big decision. The costly, private college is out. After weighing the pros and cons, it just doesn't make sense - even if he doesn't get into the public school nearby.

We did come up with a backup plan that, while it still seems a bit farfetched, just might work. Meantime, we're going to do all that we can do to improve his chances for acceptance to the local school. I'm going to make an appointment with the university's disability services department and see what they have to say. If nothing else, it will at least give him some face recognition. DS is going to talk to his best high school teachers about writing him letters of recommendation, and has plans to take the SAT once more in the fall.

I appreciate all of your support, suggestions and comments. I'm not ready to storm the president's office yet, but give me time. I don't believe we can demand that he be accepted - only that he be given appropriate accommodations once he is. College is a bit different from secondary school in that it is not the right of every citizen.

I feel better about things. I still don't know how it will turn out, but in the end I'm sure God will make certain it's for the best.

Sarah

1 comment:

  1. Good for you. God will work wonders. Just believe and have faith.

    ReplyDelete