Saturday, May 14, 2011

An anniversary of sorts

Six months ago today, we used a credit card. We haven't touched one since. This is huge. I'm fairly certain that has never happened in 25 years of marriage. It's been a double-edged sword. Not using a card cut into our dwindling supply of cash. What was tight before, has become nearly unbearable now. The cushion isn't there anymore. But it really wasn't a cushion, was it? It was a false sense of security that finally caught up with us.

The past six months have been the most difficult, financially speaking, that we've ever had. That's not going to change anytime soon. I do believe that if we can survive the next six months on the right path, we're going to be a whole lot better off and will be able to breathe a bit.

We can do it. I know we can. For now, I'm holding my breath waiting for the worst of the financial storm to pass.

Sarah


11 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah
    In the middle of the same storm :) It will pass. Holding on tight with you.
    Congrats on the anniversary, think I'll have to work mine out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to have company in the storm, Redgirl. I won't let go if you won't!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so much stronger than I am. I broke down and had used them for easter gift for daughter and graduation gift for godson. BUT, they are out of my wallet and hidden now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How awesome!!! I know you can do it! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah,

    That is a HUGE accomplishment!!! Great job! Even though it's been so tough it will be so worth it!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know that this is very hard, but you were heading over a very step cliff. Right now you are hanging over the edge. But you will have one foot over the top in about three months and then you will be on your belly, eventually standing on the edge. In about a year you will be able to turn and walk farther away. You had to do this. Remember that. I had to do it also. I am proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can do it and you have a lot of support from us. So just blog and we help how ever we can. You are a soldier.

    ReplyDelete
  8. you are doing great and it will get easier as time goes on because you're not adding new debt. Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Six months without using a credit card is awesome. You will feel better about it when you can say it's been YEARS since you used one. Imagine how glorious you will feel when you can say you have no credit card bill coming in after Christmas?? It's a great feeling. Hang in there, you're doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know that feeling, using a c/c sorta feels like it's your own money, but then you get the bill and you have to pay what you spent plus more! It's a tough habit to break, but you've done it. Feel VERY proud! AND you've paid over $6700 off your total debt according to you ticker - that's no small feat either! Yup, it's a slow process...that's why we blog...helps keep our sanity intact knowing we aren't ALONE!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's moving! The credit card on your ticker!!! I can see part of the next black number!!! YAY!!!

    ReplyDelete